A knotty problem

tiddlertamer

I use a tucked half blood knot to attach my line - normally 4lb mono - direct through to a eyed hook. Chub and roach are target species, 99% of the time on rivers.

On at least two occasions the knot has failed and the end of my line has been left looking like it has had a perm, while the fish has been left with the hook. Gaaargh! Only myself to blame. Should have tied the knot properly and checked it...

Nonetheless, do you use a different knot, thinking it more reliable than the tucked half blood knot?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Almost anything is better than the tucked half-blood! (except the untucked version :rolleyes: )

Take the trouble to learn the grinner knot (AKA the uni-knot) - it is the most versatile.

You can use it to tie line to hooks, swivels, split rings etc, and use the double grinner to join one line to another.

Better still, master several knots (grinner, spade-end, knotless, palomar, water knot, and turle) and test them at home to find those that suit you - both for ease of tying and reliability

I'll find you a link

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php

Thats a good site, for most knots - except its comments on the double uni-knot are incorrect.(I suspect because it was tied incorrectly)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Palomar knot all the time :thumbs:

The palomar is a good knot - but "all the time"??? Well, true if you only fish for (say) carp

A Palomar is fine for tying on a largish hook with a large eye (I use it for sea fishing) but is a bit thickeared for small hooks - and tiddlertamer mentions he wants a knot for roach fishing. Passing doubled line through the eye of a small hook (say an 18 or 16 if fishing maggot for roach) is not impossible, but is somewhat fiddly. The grinner is better by far in such a situation.

All knots have advantages and disadvantages - best to be familiar with several.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I believe it was Jim Gibbinson who said that different knots are better for different brands of line. I know he said that the best number of turns varied from line to line.

I agree with Vagabond - see what you get on with best. I find the palomar easier to tie than a grinner for instance, especially held up to the sky at night. So another vote for the palomar.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I usually use the grinner knot which I used to practice tying in the dark in the cupboard under the stairs as I don't like to use torches at night.

Its never let me down and the wet knot strength seems very good. Although I sometimes use the Palomar for larger hooks.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I remember a similar thread a while back where I was the lone voice in praise of the half blood knot - and I think I will be again :D This is the knot I always use when tying small-medium hooks to mono. When using large hooks (which means heavier line, say 8lb+) to mono, or braid to any size hook, I use a grinner/Uni knot. If I'm using a hair rig, it's the knotless knot.

These work for me, which is all that matters really.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music