Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

The words he is just being friendly/he is a bit lively mate are code for i have got no control over my dog whatsoever but will try to disguise this fact with a bit of banter.

Walk mine round some local lakes that i fish and if i tell her to get down she does and will not move untill i am ready/finished talking to said fishermen etc.

If the fisherman /person i am talking to shows interest in the dog then game on and she will take any amount of pampering/fuss off them but only if they show interst or ask.

Pike fish these lakes in the winter and they have had a bit of attention from some east Europeans and just before the end of last season i came across 2 who were spinning the canal bank of the lake whilst walking the dog.

I asked them if they had a ticket to fish said lakes and despite hearing them talk to another walker in decent english suddenly they couldnt anymore.

Swallowed hard and told them that they would have to leave and they went no problem but i wonder if they would have gone on there way so meekly if i didnt have the dog with me or even if i would have approached them without her ?.

As i said in a earlier post seldom take her fishing with me now not because of her but the way other owners dogs arrive in the swim several minutes sometimes before there owner and if she gets bored of there attention it will be well yours is a Shephard mate thats what they are like.

If they cannot call there dog back it has no right being off the lead but that is there fault/mistake not the dogs.

Ask the owner to call ther dog away rather than suffer in silence as even if you offend the owner by doing so at least you will have made your point more so when the dog pays no notice to said owner at all and if enough people do maybe just maybe said owner may start to think about there dogs interaction with the public.

If nothing else its got to be better than saying nothing and smiling through gritted teeth.

Just my twopence worth on a very emotive subject due to the love or hate dog viewpoint Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rabbit
The words he is just being friendly/he is a bit lively mate are code for i have got no control over my dog whatsoever but will try to disguise this fact with a bit of banter.

Walk mine round some local lakes that i fish and if i tell her to get down she does and will not move untill i am ready/finished talking to said fishermen etc.

If the fisherman /person i am talking to shows interest in the dog then game on and she will take any amount of pampering/fuss off them but only if they show interst or ask.

Pike fish these lakes in the winter and they have had a bit of attention from some east Europeans and just before the end of last season i came across 2 who were spinning the canal bank of the lake whilst walking the dog.

I asked them if they had a ticket to fish said lakes and despite hearing them talk to another walker in decent english suddenly they couldnt anymore.

Swallowed hard and told them that they would have to leave and they went no problem but i wonder if they would have gone on there way so meekly if i didnt have the dog with me or even if i would have approached them without her ?.

As i said in a earlier post seldom take her fishing with me now not because of her but the way other owners dogs arrive in the swim several minutes sometimes before there owner and if she gets bored of there attention it will be well yours is a Shephard mate thats what they are like.

If they cannot call there dog back it has no right being off the lead but that is there fault/mistake not the dogs.

Ask the owner to call ther dog away rather than suffer in silence as even if you offend the owner by doing so at least you will have made your point more so when the dog pays no notice to said owner at all and if enough people do maybe just maybe said owner may start to think about there dogs interaction with the public.

If nothing else its got to be better than saying nothing and smiling through gritted teeth.

Just my twopence worth on a very emotive subject due to the love or hate dog viewpoint Steve.

Well said Steve, some common sense and down to earth views there, wonder how some of our members actually manage to venture out into this horrible world.

Edited by Rabbit

Well said Steve, some common sense and down to earth views there, wonder how some of our members actually manage to venture out into this horrible world.

Owners just need to have basic control over there dog be it a Great Dane or a Staffy and realise that not everyone likes dogs and most if not all problems can be avoided its not rocket science but after having more than a few run ins with some of the earlier mentioned owners it might as well be Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Guest Rabbit
Owners just need to have basic control over there dog be it a Great Dane or a Staffy and realise that not everyone likes dogs and most if not all problems can be avoided its not rocket science but after having more than a few run ins with some of the earlier mentioned owners it might as well be Steve.

i agree that dogs should be under control at all times, if they are off the lead then the owner should be able to recall the dog. but to me dogs and fishing are all part of the scene, I remember catching some nice river Tench with my son with the farmers retriever (Sky) at my side, he sat through the whole afternoon session and seemed to enjoy the experience as much as we did. Anyway dogs are very good at sussing out folk who don't care much for them, good judge of characters dogs. :)

i agree that dogs should be under control at all times, if they are off the lead then the owner should be able to recall the dog. but to me dogs and fishing are all part of the scene, I remember catching some nice river Tench with my son with the farmers retriever (Sky) at my side, he sat through the whole afternoon session and seemed to enjoy the experience as much as we did. Anyway dogs are very good at sussing out folk who don't care much for them, good judge of characters dogs. :)

Rabbit i love taking her with me fishing but its the other out of control dogs on the bank that mean she does not come very often now not the humans she comes across.

We have a cruiser on the thames which she loves coming on as she can watch me fish and all the idiots with out of control dogs cant bother her, I do know what you mean about it being all part of the scene though as sitting by a lake river early in the mourning with your dog fishing before the masses arrive is what fishing is all about to me.

As you can see she really hates the boat

April2007004.jpg

2ndtripoftheyear009.jpg

4Feb07SteveGypsyonboatafterspending.jpg

Steve.

Neil, listen very carefully, I will say this only once......again.

I have never said that I don't like dogs. I have also said that I was brought up with them, but I don't feel the need to have one.

Even if I felt I had enough time or space that I think a dog needs, I just don't need or want one in my life.

Right, I think that's explained now.

The highlighted piece of your post says it all for me. To you "it's all part of the scene", great, I'm fine with that. But don't think just because it's like that for you, everyone else feels the same.

(Why do I have to keep repeating myself in this type of thread?)

If a person comes down the bank I can ask them to keep back and off the skyline, some do, some don't and we might have words.

If a dog does the same what can you do? If it won't listen to the person who's 'in control' it's not going to listen to me, and by the time the 'owner' has arrived another session is ruined, it might be a minute or so to the dog walker, but it's a fishing session to me.

Because of personal commitments and circumstances my fishing time is very limited, and I don't have the luxury of having a great choice in when and where I can go. So when I can go, I try to make the best of the time available.

From our many 'conversations' you know I will not fish commercials, preferring a more 'natural' water, so when I spend time building a swim, it's a 'tad' annoying to have some thoughtless clown ruin it for me.

I don't feel that I have to put up with people that act irresponsibly, so why should I have to put up with their canine friends?

You said you don't like dogs, but choose to interact with them when it suits you!! Sometimes John, you come over a tad pompous, You really should get a dog, my sister has a couple of Springer pup bitches in need of a home, I am having the dog..whadda you say?

I'm sorry if I seem pompous to you Neil, maybe it's because when 'speaking' to you I have to keep finding different ways of saying the same thing, until you get the message :) .

John.

Strange double standards you have Neil.

You applaud Steve for his comments, and criticize mine. When basically we have said the same thing about dogs and their 'owners'.

I use the word 'interact' and I'm "pompous", Steve uses the word 'interaction' and...nothing. :o

If I didn't know better I'd say that there's a personal agenda in your critique of my views. :rolleyes:

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit
Neil, listen very carefully, I will say this only once......again.

I have never said that I don't like dogs. I have also said that I was brought up with them, but I don't feel the need to have one.

Even if I felt I had enough time or space that I think a dog needs, I just don't need or want one in my life.

Right, I think that's explained now.

The highlighted piece of your post says it all for me. To you "it's all part of the scene", great, I'm fine with that. But don't think just because it's like that for you, everyone else feels the same.

(Why do I have to keep repeating myself in this type of thread?)

If a person comes down the bank I can ask them to keep back and off the skyline, some do, some don't and we might have words.

If a dog does the same what can you do? If it won't listen to the person who's 'in control' it's not going to listen to me, and by the time the 'owner' has arrived another session is ruined, it might be a minute or so to the dog walker, but it's a fishing session to me.

Because of personal commitments and circumstances my fishing time is very limited, and I don't have the luxury of having a great choice in when and where I can go. So when I can go, I try to make the best of the time available.

From our many 'conversations' you know I will not fish commercials, preferring a more 'natural' water, so when I spend time building a swim, it's a 'tad' annoying to have some thoughtless clown ruin it for me.

I don't feel that I have to put up with people that act irresponsibly, so why should I have to put up with their canine friends?

I'm sorry if I seem pompous to you Neil, maybe it's because when 'speaking' to you I have to keep finding different ways of saying the same thing, until you get the message :) .

John.

Strange double standards you have Neil.

You applaud Steve for his comments, and criticize mine. When basically we have said the same thing about dogs and their 'owners'.

I use the word 'interact' and I'm "pompous", Steve uses the word 'interaction' and...nothing. :o

If I didn't know better I'd say that there's a personal agenda in your critique of my views. :rolleyes:

Anyway, perhaps a Yorkshire Terrier?

Come on John when you have to 'Interact' with dogs what am I suppose to think??I Don't really have time to read through every line nowadays it's true, in spite of being the so called head of the household my time is limited on here due to sons who 'hog' the keyboard.

Steve has got a GS AND a cruiser!!

Edited by Rabbit

I know he has Neil.

How do I know?

Well, I read posts before I comment on them. :P:P

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Anyway, perhaps a Yorkshire Terrier?

Come on John when you have to 'Interact' with dogs what am I suppose to think??I Don't really have time to read through every line nowadays it's true, in spite of being the so called head of the household my time is limited on here due to sons who 'hog' the keyboard.

Yes i have and no money as the cruiser eats it all,There are lots of dogs at the marina where we keep her and they have a lose your berth if you dont pick up your dogs mess rule with bags and bins provided and yet still some dont bother.

Caught out one owner recently when her dog dropped its calling card and she just walked off,When i said are you not going to pick it up her reply was its only a small one.

I turned into the local grass straight away and did just that to the marina office i await events with interest!!!.

She was one of the most vocal at moaning about just this problem ,Bit like the locals that moan about speeding through there village/town and then are the first to get caught when plod and a speed gun arrive one morning.

Just people i guess funny old breed Steve.