New rod license prices

wellyphant

Of course, one could look at it in terms of "likelihood of catching".

Two rods are NOT twice as likely to catch as one - they may increase chances (or sometimes may even diminish chances - think disturbance, attention divided etc etc) but will never quite double them . Similarly, three rods do not triple your chances.

Indeed, in certain forms of fishing (eg spinning, fly, trotting) trying to use more than one rod would be counter-productive

Think about it. Compare your catch rate when using a single rod (even for carp, catfish etc) with "catch-per-rod" rate whilst using multiple rods. The answer will be quite close to the new licence-per-rod rates. That may not have been the intention behind the new rates, but that is the result.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It does seem the 'norm' to fish with two or three rods, especially for Barbel, personally I don't like it, I would rather try and fish well with one rod. Of course double hooks up's can be a problem, and very often happen when the Barbel are feeding well.

Of course double hooks up's can be a problem,

There are all sorts of "rules" that are easily transgressed during a double hook up.

Eg "The angler must be in control of all rods at all times" etc etc

It is a bit of an "don't mention the elephant in the room" problem, especially if the angler concerned is a bit inexperienced, and is fishing multiple rods in a situation where runs are plentiful (in itself a further measure of inexperience)

OTOH...

I was once a guest on a boat out of Cape Town, with six professionals operating three handlines each on the drift for snoek (ranging from about 6 to 12 lb each) 18 lines (19 with my single rod) Result, a boatful of snoek and not a single tangle in six hours fishing. Perhaps the most competent display of knot-tying, baiting, casting, tackle control and fish handling I have ever seen.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have never had a problem with paying for licences, it seems to me to be a minor outlay for the pleasure I have. Compared to the amount friends and colleagues spend to join some (not all) golf clubs, I find it a negligible sum. Like most people I think the EA could do better, could have more Bailiffs out to deal with irresponsible anglers and those who clearly have not got a licence - not making a generalisable claim here, but walking a river with a large net is not angling! The new changes do benefit carp anglers and those session barbel and pike anglers who like to use three rods, but such is life. I enjoy this type of fishing but only use two rods as a rule. I will probably buy the three rod licence on top of a Salmon and Trout licence and a permit to fish in the Thames.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope". John Buchan