Who fishes the pole?

Dave H

I have finally found places where the pole is going to be very useful in my fishing but have no experience using one. I am in the main after big perch but any coarse fish will do .

Can somebody point me in the right direction for buying one?

It does not need to be a bells and whistle one just a good standard.

And tips on fishing with one.

Thanks

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I occasionally use a pole or a whip, but mainly I'm a rod/reel man. I'd suggest buying a fairly cheap one first off to see if you like it....

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/coarse-and-match-fishing/poles

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Its just a aspect of fishing i have not tried yet so want to give it a go.

Going to do a bit of fly fishing too...Now that will be a laugh i can't even see the things let alone cast them...

Hi Dave - hope you get this?? I've just joined the site.

I've been fishing since I was a kid (I'm almost 60 now, & just joined the pole scene over the last 3 seasons.

You could do a lot worse by starting with the Shimano BeastMaster 8.5 metre Margin pole.

It comes with 2 top kits (not elasticated) but the shop should do it for free when you buy it from them (all part of the deal in many tackle shops)

You can also buy a 2 Metre extension (at an extra £70)

This pole will take an amazing amount of abuse, & is very forgiving to a novice pole angler (like me still)

It's hard to stop using it like a Rod (at first) where most other poles would break if used in that fashion.

So for around £195 + £70 for the extension (you won't need that at first - get used to the 8.5 Mt'rs Initially)

Hope this helps.

Martin.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Good info Martin and thanks. I just spotted your post and approved it so yes, everyone can see it now.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thankyou martin.

I

Hi Dave - hope you get this?? I've just joined the site.

I've been fishing since I was a kid (I'm almost 60 now, & just joined the pole scene over the last 3 seasons.

You could do a lot worse by starting with the Shimano BeastMaster 8.5 metre Margin pole.

It comes with 2 top kits (not elasticated) but the shop should do it for free when you buy it from them (all part of the deal in many tackle shops)

You can also buy a 2 Metre extension (at an extra £70)

This pole will take an amazing amount of abuse, & is very forgiving to a novice pole angler (like me still)

It's hard to stop using it like a Rod (at first) where most other poles would break if used in that fashion.

So for around £195 + £70 for the extension (you won't need that at first - get used to the 8.5 Mt'rs Initially)

Hope this helps.

Martin.

Thankyou martin

It is a pole i have been looking at...

I used to do a lot of rather unorthodox pole fishing and placed in several matches including a rather large open on the Trent fishing 7m line to hand - which was fun with large chub stretching the elastic across the river.

Currently, I'm using a cheap 5m Chinese Whip.

The point is, don't be bound by convention. Do whatever looks like fun.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Because the "BeastMaster" Margin is primarily a BIG FISH pole, may I suggest you have one of the top kits fitted with #18 - 22 Hollow elastic, my other top kit has #14-16 for "Fishing Out" at a bit more distance.

Have it done by the shop at first - the pole needs the first foot or so sawing off in order to take the bush - It's a lot of money & quite high risk doing it yourself for the first time!!

The Hollow elastics are the "Mid Price range" & very good (Much better than the "Solid elastic")

Striking towards the Bank where possible generally makes the fish swim out into open water, & less likely to make a dive for the snags.

Also when a big fish takes - sink the pole into the water, This strengthens the pole due to the differential pressure, making it less likely to break (although as I've said, this pole will take a lot more abuse than most)

Remember - The elastic does nearly ALL the work!!

You can almost (but not quite) point the pole at the fish - only a small angle is required - unlike fishing with a rod!! You don't want too much of a bend in the pole when playing a fish - especially a "Big UN' ".

Regarding rigs for Margin Pole :-

Here's a tip, I almost always use 12" or 15" (inch) QUICKSTOP hair rigs for baits like Worm, meat, sweetcorn, prawns & cockles etc. Worms tend to wriggle off barbless hooks - they can't get off a QUICKSTOP Rig.

Exactly Ken!!

I enjoy fishing with a centrepin - yes even on Matches sometimes, much more.

It takes quite a bit longer to get them in (Carp) nevertheless a much more pleasurable experience.

I'm still using my Late Dad's "Grice & Young" - It's at least as old as me (I'm nearly 60)

I've only just got out of the habit of having the "Maggot Bag" round my neck from my past river fishing days!!