Windows 10 updates

What a pain these are! With previous Windows updates you could delay when they got actioned, and they usually only took a few minutes. Now they seem to take an hour, and they are forced on you at what can be very inconvenient times.

There's nothing anyone can say, I expect, except - are Macs any better?

john clarke

I don't want to sound like a PCMR guy. But, in my opinion, Macs are never better as they are MUCH more expensive for the performance that the give.

Technical Support Wizard

Types of Carp caught: Common, Mirror

I've just had a 'forced' update, and now my laptop seems to have a mind of it's own. Random keys change function while I'm typing. A letter key suddenly brings up the menu box, or settings, (it's done it four times so far while typing this). Trying to put my password in sometimes turns the laptop off and I have to reboot. 'Narrator', comes on, even though I turned it off, I'm like a demented loon arguing with an inanimate object. Anyone got any ideas, apart from dropping the machine from a great height, or blowing Microsoft headquarters up?

I'm assuming that I can get back on here once I leave. :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Perhaps you can uninstall the offending update in settings?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps you can uninstall the offending update in settings?

It took some time chesters, but when I eventually got into settings, and it let me actually do something, I managed to turn off some of them. Then, after several attempts at rebooting, it does seem to have settled down, although it is still slow loading. I went into the MS 'help' app, and it seems it's a fairly common reaction to some updates.

It was weird, I was typing, then suddenly the menu screen would pop up, followed by the settings page, but when I tried to click onto either of them, they either disappeared, or it turned my laptop off. Then I lost use of the L and O keys, they just wouldn't do anything, then it changed again to one press, and about a half dozen letters came up at once! I've never seen anything like it, I thought my laptop was broken, then that I'd been hacked somehow, then that I was going mad, especially when I typed in a password for the 'narrator' to keep telling me it was wrong, when I knew it was right. :crazy:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What a pain these are! With previous Windows updates you could delay when they got actioned, and they usually only took a few minutes. Now they seem to take an hour, and they are forced on you at what can be very inconvenient times.

There's nothing anyone can say, I expect, except - are Macs any better?

if your considering a mac then id highly recomend linux (its kinda mac like i suppose) which can most likely go on your current hardware so theres 0 expense to atleast trying it out and see if your hardware will work with it. if your reasonably technical minded and can create a bootable usb drive you can try linux right off the drive without interfering with your current OS. Theres loads of help out there on how to go about makeing a live usb. look at ubuntu (a variation of the linux OS) loads of help on their site too on how to make a live usb.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk