Some advice required

Zeddedhed

I really appreciate so many of you offering your advice.

As it turned out for one reason and another I ended up lure fishing and catching a couple of nice little Perch.

I won't bore you with the details here, but if you're interested you can take a look at the write up on my new blog at www.fishingforluckies.com

Next weekend I'm hoping to get on the Medway at Hartlake bridge so I'll ask around the tackle shops to find out where the Chub are biting and have a go for them on Saturday or Sunday.

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Hi Zed, you may be interested in this Link - Allums of Wakefield.- West Yorkshire.

The Sausages - any variety are to die for - A proper Pork & Pork Pie shop & can be ordered online. (Near to where I live - so no need to for me)

They do everything & it's all "Top Drawer" Not just Pork products!!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1p7CmlbbQAhVIIMAKHVI6D1EQFggmMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allumsbutchers.co.uk%2F&usg=AFQjCNHsVm-rQ7dg0puq74OktqkFWh3Vng&sig2=VySgZxdWLsTXzowObNMNPA

Click on the Sausage Link (Pardon the Pun!!)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Hi Zed, you may be interested in this Link - Allums of Wakefield.- West Yorkshire.

The Sausages - any variety are to die for - A proper Pork & Pork Pie shop & can be ordered online. (Near to where I live - so no need to for me)

They do everything & it's all "Top Drawer" Not just Pork products!!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1p7CmlbbQAhVIIMAKHVI6D1EQFggmMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allumsbutchers.co.uk%2F&usg=AFQjCNHsVm-rQ7dg0puq74OktqkFWh3Vng&sig2=VySgZxdWLsTXzowObNMNPA

Click on the Sausage Link (Pardon the Pun!!)

Martin, thanks for this - really! I will most definitely be placing an order with these guys soon. All I need to do is work out how to best make it up to £50 to get the free delivery (I'm a bit of a tightwad). Their sausages will definitely get an outing to the river soon and a subsequent review on the blog.

Cheers.

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Yep, any cooked meat will do, Sausage, Saveloy. black pudding, etc, etc "Korkers" are a good cheap brand.

One of Dick Walker's tales from his club match daysconcerns a sausage.

Wilfrid, one of the the Hitchin club members, never caught anything, and always used to reply to the question "Done any good?" with "Not a sausage "

So one club outing, whilst Wilfrid was sleeping off his liquid lunch (three bottles of pale ale) Dick and his mates wound in Wilf's gear, substituted a Wall's sausage on a size 4 for his tired maggots on a #14 and chucked the bait back in. "He won't be able tio say 'Not a sausage ' today" they chortled.

By now experienced readers will be ahead of me. Wilfrid awoke to a kicking rod and a screaming reel, Against the odds he landed the four-pound chub that had ingested Mr Wall's finest, "framed" at the weigh-in for the very first time in his club match career, subsequently became a regular contender for "chub of the year" for the rest of his fishing life, and as a spin-off substantially increased the commission paid to the local Wall's rep.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've been using Old Ghost sausage in various flavours with some success. £1 a sausage and it lasts all day !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Nice blog Zed, you are a wordsmith that's for sure and pretty useful with the Box Brownie too, but for all that is Holy why did you not attach a bit of Tesco's finest bangers to a hook and seduce a Chub or two?

Enough of the 'poncy' lure chucking thing, it's just not Cricket, God knows what the Hunt must have thought. :secret:

Anyway those Perch are a pretty sight, and are at their best just now, just add a float and a 'pin to the scene, and it will be picture perfect. :fishing:

Edited by Neil Smart

Nice blog Zed, you are a wordsmith that's for sure and pretty useful with the Box Brownie too, but for all that is Holy why did you not attach a bit of Tesco's finest bangers to a hook and seduce a Chub or two?

Enough of the 'poncy' lure chucking thing, it's just not Cricket, God knows what the Hunt must have thought. :secret:

Anyway those Perch are a pretty sight, and are at their best just now, just add a float and a 'pin to the scene, and it will be picture perfect. :fishing:

Thanks for the kind comments Neil.

To address your questions:

1. Firstly the issue of using the days rations to seduce a Chub - it genuinely never even occurred to me to be honest. Once the frying of the bangers was underway my thoughts quickly turned to my own sustenance and sod the fish. Once I'd scoffed the lot and started to think about the day ahead it was too late. I do think however that those particular examples of the snagmakers art were far too good to be throwing into a muddy river.
  2. The 'poncy' lure chucking thing - from that comment I can only assume you're from the 'hard as nails, coal miner by day, flat cap wearing fisherman at weekends' school of angling. You never wear more than a string vest to go fishing, even when it's snowing. Crouching over a grey sluggish canal, crumpled roll-up dangling from your bottom lip staring at a home-made float slowly making it's way through the turgid waters. Hoping to see the tell -tale dip of the tip so you can reel in your prize 9oz Roach, club it to death with the heel of your hobnail and take it home to feed the wife and eleven children. Maybe, maybe not. Chucking lures is a big plus when it's freezing cold. I do feel that i slightly let the side down though. Of the Huntin' shootin' and fishin' holy trinity I was the least well dressed of the bunch. Top hats and all that jazz for the huntsmen, plus fours, shirt and tie and tweeds for the shooters and then there was me - resplendent in dirty Korum waterproof trousers, a very manky fleece that glitters with fish scales and dried on slime no matter how much it's washed. Top it all off (literally) with a grey woollen beanie hat that makes me look like I should be on some sort of national register and you can see that the Angling community was not well represented in the sartorial stakes.
  3. I certainly will be back to fish that little spot again - probably in the summer. Just after it is a shallow (1ft max) run for about 200 yards with a gravelly bottom. I don't know if thats likely to be good for anything in the summer but I'll enjoy sitting there for the day watching the waters flow by.
Edited by Zeddedhed
  • Like 1

LOL - I like the way you write. You do, indeed, have a way with words.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Martin, thanks for this - really! I will most definitely be placing an order with these guys soon. All I need to do is work out how to best make it up to £50 to get the free delivery (I'm a bit of a tightwad). Their sausages will definitely get an outing to the river soon and a subsequent review on the blog.

Cheers.

Why not wait till nearer Christmas & Include the Festive Meats - They do some great Beef Joints (remember to ask for a FREE piece of beef fat to cover it for roasting) They trim off the fat Initially so you're only paying for the meat - the fat is then available on request (or it was when I bought a joint in the shop)

Also Pork, Lamb & Poultry + the Goose fat for the roast Tatties & of course the "Boxing Day Stand Pie" (Pork pie made & baked on the premises) The pies - made using the best Pork Shoulder are well seasoned, with Jelly & nicely Peppered - Nothing like that supermarket rubbish!! You can actually see the man pouring the Jelly into the "still warm" pies in the shop window!!!!!

It's all very clean and Hygienic - I've been in the shop many many times.

The Cooked meat serving staff (All Women, save for Man pouring in window) are totally separate from the Raw meat staff (All Men) & the counters are completely apart.

Maybe you could share a larger order with Friends & Neighbours??

PS - They don't come tighter than a Yorkshireman!!!!!!!!!! :schmoll:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

To all you sausage lovers any hints on where to buy bulk savaloys online that are delivered ,no minimum order and takes paypal ?

I can swop info to a great scots pie maker that does all the above

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson