Is 20 lb Main Line OK on 2.75 Test Curve Rod?

Martin56

Thanks Tigger - the rod being 2.75 TC, I would have thought it would handle it very well?? (as other members have also posted to that effect)

Maybe you're right & I'll be sure to use the clutch AND the back wind rather that just HIT & HOLD!!.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

Scaredie cat.

The LEVERAGE mechanical advantage of a 10 ft rod at 100 ft is approximately 1000lbs. It's the ft/lbs of torque the angler is responsible for. Regardless of the rod tc your only job is to maintain the mechanical advantage. Of course you could fish with timbers if you wish.

Phone

Martin,

Scaredie cat.

The LEVERAGE mechanical advantage of a 10 ft rod at 100 ft is approximately 1000lbs. It's the ft/lbs of torque the angler is responsible for. Regardless of the rod tc your only job is to maintain the mechanical advantage. Of course you could fish with timbers if you wish.

Phone

Excuse me phone, but I am an Engineer of some considerable (40+ years) experience - Torque is a Turning Moment - Not pulling!!

I think you're confusing Torque advantage ie with a torque multiplier with Mechanical advantage. (Levers & Fulcrums)

What's the timbers bit about ??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

What's the timbers bit about ??

In this context, "timber" would mean a small tree trunk or a piece of lumber.

I suggested the heavy b/s braid to give some abrasion resistance. If your terminal tackle (leader, hooklength, whatever) is a much lower b/s you would expect any break off to occur there rather than somewhere in mainline.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President