Blackberries

wotnobivvy

These are the fruity ones, not the phones. Went out with the missus and picked 10lbs of free fruit. We now have blackberry and apple crumble for dessert tonight and 12lb of home made jam to put on the home made scones that she will bake !!!!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

It's been years since I saw so many or since they ripened so yearly.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Just finished the lovely crumble, still trying to pick the pips from the gaps in my teeth !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Just picked the last of the roadside damson things ,the yellow ones ripened early but the purple ones are just dropping .Either the end of Ramadam was early this year or they ripened late but generally they both happen within a week of each other but not this year.

I picked a couple of pockets full coming home from detecting sunday and theres probably one pocket left if they haven't fell off naturally.

Lots of sloes again this year but the blackberries are small here at the moment so not worth picking

The best blackberries i ever picked were at vokes mansion near pirbright (the mad cow place) there used to be two huge glass houses and the blackberries had crept in through the open windows and rooted ,the conditions were perfect and the fruit an inch in circumference ,they tasted great.

We used to pick the fruit in the overgrown orchard and make cider from it ,some old very strange apple trees in there until the bulldozers went in and flattened the greenhouses ,they even pushed a cork tree over !

The place must have been magnificent in its heyday the fish pond a thing to see ,now its so overgrown its unnoticeable

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If you have space, its well worth growing the thornless cultivars. Over the course of a season. two or three bushes will fill a freezer and the fruit are 1st class.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've always found cultivated blackberries a bit insipid compared to the variety of flavour you get from wild bushes. Large and sweet, but a bit bland.

Tayberries, a blackberry/raspberry hybrid, those are worth growing, though.

If I were not trying to get the house on the market, I would be harvesting blackberries for wine. I've not done it for years, but they make a fantastic wine.