bobbin or bait-runner

The Flying Tench

I have rarely fished 2 rods, but quite enjoy it when I do, even though I'm a clumsy so-and-so and tend to trip up over one rod when trying to attend t'other. It's mostly been bream fishing, and I've had bobbins and bait alarms, which seems to work OK. But yesterday I had one rod for chub or bream (no takes) and one for pike (one take which I missed, and another attack while winding in.)

The take which I missed consisted of a serious of little jerks which slowly moved the bobbin up to the rod, when I felt semi-obliged to strike, but in retrospect shouldn't have done as I think the pike was still playing with the bait. Maybe just using the bait-runner would have allowed me more flexibility?

But it raises the general question of whether to use bobbin or bait-runner or both. Am I right that carp anglers don't bother with a bobbin nowadays? What do you do?

john clarke

I think a big reason for using a bobbin appart from enjoying seeing it shoot up and knock the varnish off the rod is to show back drops. 

if you just use a baitrunner combined with an alarm and get a drop back bite you won't get any indication as your line willl simply go slack.   You need the bobbin or swinger to pull the slack line back through the alarm to make it sound off.

If you fished a quiver or watched any rod tip with a slight bend in it you would notice the tip drop back.  Obviously using that method would require you to watch the tip in the same manner as you watch a float.

So if you want to sit back using two rods and look at your surroundings then using a baitrunner reel (or a reel with the drag relaxed) combined with an alarm and bobbins or swinger would be your best option.

A self hooking set up will most likely work best for this kind of fishing.  

• Like 2

Personally, as I only fish commercials these days, I find 2 rods far too stressful for me. It's far too likely that both rods will go at the same time & I've all on dealing with just one.

I'd leave 2 or more rods to the Bivvy Boys as Match fishing demands One Rod only in the water at any one time!!

Re Bait Runners - yes most of my Leger rods have that facility, but I usually prefer to let them nearly pull the rod in & only engage the Runner if say I'm pouring a cuppa.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

20 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

Ah, of course, that's why I've seen carpers with no bobbin - they use bolt rigs! But do bolt rigs work with pike?

As Alan said, even using a self hooking set up you need a swinger of some kind to show a dropback/ fish swimming towards you.

I forget the name for them but there are a few swingers for pike fishing.  If you get a normal run the line is pulled forward and the swinger goes up until it unclips and drops off.  If you get a slack li er then the swinger falls down.

There was one which had an alarm incorporated in it. Wichever way the swinger went, up or down the box it was attatched to would sou d off. I think it was just a continuous noise once set off.

As I said, I forget the name of them, but I think they were fox.

Here are some drops offs as examples for you John.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Rage-Predator-Mk-2-Drop-Off-Arm-Pike-Run-Indicator-FAC003-/232222779345?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Rage-Predator-MK-2-Pike-Swinger-Drop-Off-Bite-Indicator-FAC004-/332108583386?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 2

This is what I usually do anyway; but first I must say that I rarely cast great distances and am usually only casting up to around 65 to 75 metres at most; and I usually use a length of anti tangle tubing behind a 2oz to 3oz in-line lead with the swivel pushed into the tubing that runs through the lead; or if Im fishing over a hard lake or river bed I attach the lead via a ‘correctly’ fitted safety clip.

NB: I use the rig at the bottom of the picture on hard bottoms simply because when there’s a hard bottom there’s less chance of the lead landing on top of the hooklink/swivel and possibly damaging it; whereas on thick silted beds it’s not quite as important to me.

Simple-Carp-Rigs.png

I make sure that the swivel that is inserted into the end of the tubing or safety clip will come free with only a minimal amount of pressure so that The lead and tubing will never be dragged around by the Carp if the line parts; so is safe; and my safety clips (when used) are not secured too tightly.

If I’m using two rods for Carp fishing I use free running baitrunners together with alarms and front bobbins set to hang about 6” above the ground incase I get a drop back (see pic below) although I rarely get drop backs no matter what direction the Carp run. 

3-D1-D17-DF-7-FE1-44-EE-961-E-027-A18-A4

When I get Carp picking up or sucking in my bait and getting pricked by the hook there is a ‘semi’ self hooking action where the weight of the lead is just enough to pull the hook further home as the Carp takes off; until the line is tightened and a strike is made.

NB: the lead/tubing often pulls free during the take and will often slide up the line a foot or so anyway; causing my bobbins to usually rise up even when the Carp is moving towards me; plus If the line did decide to part the lead would pull free very easily.

This is more or less what most of the other Carp Angler’s would be using at the waters where I tend to Carp fish.

legering for Pike:

If I’m legering for Pike I usually (but not always) tend to use bobbins attached to my rear rod rests which will tend to break free quite easily on a take; this is because Pike are sometimes easily spooked by any resistance as it moves off with the bait in its mouth; especially if it needs to further adjust the bait before swallowing it head first; so I don’t want a bobbin bouncing about during the take.

A friend of mine has rear battery indicators containing mercury switches that automatically sound an alarm as his rear bobbins drop free. but I only have basic ones.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. My only remaining question is why the drop back indication should happen if you use a heavy ledger weight. As long as the lead stays static, whichever direction the pike goes in should cause the bobbin to rise. OK, that's in theory, I know, but how often in practice do you get a drop back if you are using a heavy lead?

Tigger, thanks for suggesting some pike swingers. I'll probably get a couple, but that's £25 so I'll have another go with ordinary 'front' bobbins to get my mind in gear.

john clarke

Hi Tench,

I reckon you should maybe catch a few Pike with a float until you reach the level of experience which demands heavy Leger Tackle??

OK, I've only caught the odd opportunistic Pike up to 6 Lb or so myself.

Can you deal with a "Deep Hooked Pike"?? 

PS - I'm in no way trying to make fun bud'.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

21 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. My only remaining question is why the drop back indication should happen if you use a heavy ledger weight. As long as the lead stays static, whichever direction the pike goes in should cause the bobbin to rise. OK, that's in theory, I know, but how often in practice do you get a drop back if you are using a heavy lead?

Tigger, thanks for suggesting some pike swingers. I'll probably get a couple, but that's £25 so I'll have another go with ordinary 'front' bobbins to get my mind in gear.

Many years ago I did quite a bit of piking and often used weights up to 3 1/2 ounces. I did use a running set up but did get back drops on swingers and bobbins, no sure why that happened, maybe a bit of weed or similar stopping the line from running through the link.

As Martin said, flot fishing is a great way to fish for pike, infact it's my prefered method.

I do very little piking these days but still catch more than my fair share whilst trotting for other fish.

Some occassions pike can be a propper pain in the harris.

There was a chub and two barbel resting in the net head by my feet when this fresh water crock slithered up sniffing them.  The barbel were about 6 or 7lb and it could have eaten one no problem so it was quite a large sized pike.

oct-19-pike

IMG-20190302-1327300-rewind

oct-23-pike3web

• Like 2