Get ready for cold winters

chesters1

Now the government has gone into a new "save the planet" frenzy your going to be freezing in winter if these air source "heating" pumps become mandatory .

My son lived in orkney for a couple of years his house used swedish sourced air heat pumps .A lot of the technology is used to recycle warm air from the top of the house using it to warm the bottom of the house along with using air warmth from the outside .Sounds great thats enough "evidence" to fool any thick MP (along with obligitory brown envelopes from those installing them and those making them) in reality once the temp drops near freezing on comes your immersion heater to replace the warm air thats NOT coming in from outside and the internal part of the system (strangely only the outside bit is shown?) Starts going into overdrive trying to produce warmth from the outside AND having fits trying to recover wamth from a rapidly  cooling attic if you see your electric meter go into overdrive using your immersion heater and switch it off!

Ground source is better but those in cities dont have ground to bung it in .

Why not hydrogen? The system is there to provide it ,i would guess your gas aplliencies would need re jetting but thats been done before when we went from town gas to natural gas so its not new!

I find it strange the deliberate blinkered choices the government take ,on one hand they ban coal and slap on bans on fires in homes and crow about "renewable sources" yet trees are renewable but my mother in law was forbidden to use her wood pellet burning boiler when the local council slapped a ban and declared her area was smoke free!

Why dont the government pick on the 85% that are not householders that appear ton get overlooked ,try punishing the big poluters not Fred blogs trying to heat his house eating his tea using electricity once his lovely gas cooker is banned under the light of a "special" bulb that cannot be recycled, unlike the ones the government "advised " us we shouldn't use because it was going to kill the planet the last time they got saving the planet brown from those making the special bulbs brown envelopes?

The whole of the UK could stop using coal or gas and freeze to death but it won't make a jot of difference if India and China continue using more and more fossil fuels start with them and let us use our gas boilers what next is breathing going to be restricted to x number of exhalations per day because its killing the planet 🙄

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yep, they stop working altogether below about -16, so if we get a proper cold snap, there are going to e huge problems.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

At least nuclear is back on the horizon hopefully it will not be in control of the frogs or chinks or were buggered 🙄

Hopefully, we can get Rolls-Royce and Babcock to make them here far away from the wasp chewer and her frenzy to be scotlands new queen.

Perhaps we can get our nuke subs anchored round england providing power via an extension lead into the national grid they ain't much good pretending to threaten china America or Russia so we might as well put them to good use!

Theres been a conspiracy to get rid of gas for some time ,no hot water inputs in washing machines so you cannot use already heated water and i have never seen (but interested if there is )an instant shower that uses pre heated water despite its so easy to do . There are pumped shower mixers i fitted one in the last house but not an instant shower as far as i know .No way to use wood or coal to heat your home modern houses dont even have chimneys we couldnt afford oil in our last house we used wood as we had a few fire places, the central heating was a treat not a  necessity ! The council blocked our chimney when they removed a perfectly working gas fire in this house they didnt give us any option to use "renewable" sources.Will they ban Calor gas its an expensive but do-able way of thumbing your nose to the government.

I feel sorry for those with combi boilers ,no tank no heat pump lol strange its not mentonend  by boris your rads might need ditching aswell heat pumps are not as heaty as gas so the pumps themselves only part of the expense!

What happened to solar ? That went out of fashion quick !brown envelopes disapeared ? Saying that my daughter has solar electric strangely it stops working at night 🙄

Looking at american user sites (using data from someone flogging them will only get the good bits not the bad) the units start complaining at 40f and progressively  rely on electric water heating from then on ,you may save the planet until the electric bill hits the carpet then its back to the 1950" s and from experience huddling round a paraffin heater not my cuppa tea at £10 quid a gallon and i can still remember the smell 60 years later ,its going to be like the 3 day week of the 70's again lol but self imposed

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

At the moment, I'm stuck with a combi boiler, and it's a bit carp.

If either the gas or the electricity goes out - no heat!

I will definitely be looking to diversify options when I move.

A wood stove will be on the wish list, off grid solar PV for lighting (those batteries are bloody expensive though) and although it's not fashionable any more, solar thermal for hot water.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

2 hours ago, Ken L said:

At the moment, I'm stuck with a combi boiler, and it's a bit carp.

If either the gas or the electricity goes out - no heat!

I will definitely be looking to diversify options when I move.

A wood stove will be on the wish list, off grid solar PV for lighting (those batteries are bloody expensive though) and although it's not fashionable any more, solar thermal for hot water.

Had we been in our last house i definately would have experimented with solar heated hot water in simple terms its a black hose with anti freeze in a plastic box thats got a small pump to circulate the fluid via your hot water tank !

I had already installed a 12v circuit throughout the house to run appliencies in the many power cuts we had up there .

My unpowered RO system is still working fine the waste water goes into the tank in the attic rather than down the drain so in essense no water is wasted at all .The 6 gallon tank is all we need ,its far different to 40 years ago when my first system was in use .

If the gov brought in laws where all new houses had solar and grey water storage (for flushing your bog or watering the garden) and ofcourse put money into research for CO2 capture from fossil fuel use half the problem of consumer use would be sorted ,then they will just ignore the 85% that actually cause it !

Most low powered things can run on 12v why they cannot automatically switch to 12v DC mystifies me! a leisure battery tucked away somewhere on a charger can easily run a boiler and central heating pump for a day or two in power cuts i am sure .You can get 12v options in most appliencies you dont go back to cave man times camping in the 21st century! They can be used in your home as well

Unfortunately the frenzy to "save" the planet is going to make it worse ,just turning to electric vehicals will demand more rare earths ,lithium production will have to spiral and the amount of copper mined in the last 10,000 years will have to be mined in 30 ! Your not going to attain that without destroying something !

Edited by chesters1

I think unless the pipes were heavily insulated the water would be cold before it got here 🤭

Geothermal is an option but 76degrees wont cook my sunday roast ,electric is an option but compared to gas its expensive today ,reduce the price of electric and the problem lessens.

I always wanted a fan oven so i installed one , trouble was just before it melted it blew the flame out 🤔

The Germans and Swedes are better at it than we are.

In Paris there are about 180.000 homes heated with geothermal.

Geothermal heat for Malmö/ Sweden from a depth of 7,000m (thinkgeoenergy.com)

Electricity needs to be cheaper though. France has 56 nuclear power plants to our eight.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Talking about cold winters how do you think the country would cope or not with another 1947 or 1963?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The country would ,the pathetic self obsessed idiots born since wont .

I expect all those expensive solar panels covered in 4 feet of snow  would be very useful.Unfortunately we are being forced to put all our eggs in one basket if hydrogen doesnt replace natural gas ,the infrastructure is there use it! We had oil fired heating in the last house in a 1963 scenario the tanker wouldnt get to it just as those with calor gas heating wont. You need open fires as back up you can burn the furniture to stay warm

I was 10 in 1963 it was as cold inside as outside ,you got dressed in bed (you wernt allowed to sleep in your clothes) no heating bar the gas cooker back then if of course mum had a shilling for the meter.Your school coat was a second blanket 😳

If kids lived like that now social services would be knocking but it was normal back then ,people think they are poor if they can only afford a 50" telly nowadays try going hungry for a couple of days or being given a bit of paper with an address on it to go to  after school when your parents did a moonlight flit lol

The good thing back then was few could afford cars so public transport was popular and the main rods were cleared ,theres so many cars now the country stops if a snowflake falls and health and safety steps in stopping it being cleared incase some idiot gets a chill .In Edinburgh even the pavements were cleared now little is because theres to many chiefs and no indians that do it!

Edited by chesters1