SKY GLASS??

Martin56

We've had SKY GLASS for just over a week & we've arranged for them to come & take it back.

1) It won't record, whereas SKY Q can record up to 6 programs all at the same time

2) It works off the Internet - so relying on another company to support the System. No Tinternet = No Telly (though there is some kind of back up should the Internet fail it says)

3) It's a Phillips TV (Telly is Included in the package, Picture is good like you'd expect from a new one but there are better Tellies out there)

4) It's Not a Crap System, but it doesn't do half the stuff that SKY Q does.

5) On the Up side - No Dish is required, so Ideal if you want SKY, but live in accommodation where they won't let you have a Satellite Dish!! (Could well be a Caravan option say?)

It's going back Wednesday. Here's a Link - Make up your own mind!!

PS - I didn't order it, the wife did, thinking it would be a nice surprise!!!

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/1414653/sky-glass-review

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Streaming is the future i guess ,why you cannot record is weird we have an android streaming box we use for Amazon Prime and tea tv  and it records fine and its a few years old .

Can you get NON sky channels? i know the old sky boxes made it very difficult by hiding them away and you having to actively scan for them before you saw them on the EPG .

Its all down to how fast your internet is i suppose ,we ordered FTP and had to wait a year until it got to the village but the speed went from a few mbs to over 150 so you can record two channels at once using both our streaming boxes and 16 using the satellite box but theres little to watch even with a thousand channels (more if i put the motor back on the dish) so utilising all those possibilities rare.

Camping is a possibility  but we took a dish anyway as folkestones wifi (when it worked) very slow but packing a big telly in the back of a car with all your camping gear risky lol

More cables though we already have a bundle as thick as your wrist coming  through the ceiling as it is ,we use wifi on the phones or tablets but everything else is on 1 gig cat 6/7 cabling its like the  GPO  sub station 🙄 the 'powerful' BT hub cannot get its wifi through all my intrepid reels so we had to install a powerline wifi / network repeater which cuts down a few cables for the telly and android box .Cabling is far faster than wifi until they up the speed on wifi appliences so i use cables whenever possible on non mobile equiptment .

A quick glance at the specs shows it's a pretty crude tv I am surprised it's sold it's bordering on a monopoly! get an ordinary tv and stick a £50 android box on it is my advice

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I can see why they don't want you being able to record HD content (and re-upload it elsewhere), but as you say, any interruption of high speed broadband means that you're stuck with an expensive but useless piece of kit.

It also means that if content is only available for a limited time, you can't keep a copy you watch at your leisure, and if you go on holiday, you might miss the end of a show entirely. 

I'll pass.

I prefer my home entertainment as dumb as a rock.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

3 hours ago, Ken L said:

I can see why they don't want you being able to record HD content (and re-upload it elsewhere), but as you say, any interruption of high speed broadband means that you're stuck with an expensive but useless piece of kit.

It also means that if content is only available for a limited time, you can't keep a copy you watch at your leisure, and if you go on holiday, you might miss the end of a show entirely. 

I'll pass.

I prefer my home entertainment as dumb as a rock.

As in BAA forum?

34 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

As in BAA forum?

The BAA forum would elevate a rock to the status of genius.

Rocks also have the advantage of not having administrators that attack and insult users.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.