Organisation of fishing clubs...

Whitty

Before it gets said,I know every member can volunteer to be on committees of clubs,I've done it years ago,my reasons for my stopping are the same,people who want the 'power' of running clubs tend not to have the angling know how,or environmental  knowledge,trusting to read Google and stand by it 100%,which in reality isn't feasible as each venue has its own variables,I'm talking about cutting down trees and removing weed and reeds without understanding that fish require certain amounts of cover,especially with the amount of predation,then there is the guys who if you put them in charge of a chainsaw or other cutting gear don't know when to stop,I would not want them cutting my hair,a club I'm a member of decided last winter to remove large amounts of Norfolk reeds on a stretch,these are undercut and gave fish hiding places in the shallow clear water,then two weeks before the end of the season,chopped down several of the small trees(there weren't  many),leaving the fish swimming up and down like lunatics wondering where they could hide,why,you send the fisheries manager an email asking said why and they don't even give you a reply,yet you get emails twice a month telling you when matches are on,shaking head smile firmly stamped here,lol....

I see the exact same problems with the committee of a club i'm in, they think they do a good job, but in reality they just destroy waters.

They destroy them by making footpaths resembling town centre pavements, erecting fences that resemble a prison fence, putting huge platforms in pegs to suite long stay anglers (carp anglers), cut back vegetation both in and out of the water. The platforms, some of which resemble blackpool pier are so high off the water it's very difficult to float fish from them.   I suppose they kind of sterelise waters and remove the character.  Then they stock the waters with carp !

• Like 1

Then they tell you you have to use hooks and lines over a certain size because it's not fair you hooking carp on roach tackle,absurdity in the extreme,if they hadn't put the vermin everywhere it wouldn't be a problem lol....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know of any waters on my clubs books with that rule in place, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they do.

They seem to enjoy making nonsense rules...because they can!

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you give people power then they will use it over you ,why do you think they crave it? Why do you think they agree to have it ? A club i was in removed any tree branches  hanging over the water and 3 great spots where the reeds went further into the pond than the edge .These were great places for kids it was hard not to catch.

Why did they remove them "it gives an unfair advantage in matches" the club had 4000+ member 30-40 were match anglers simply not using the pegs in matches seemed to be above their thinking level

In my opinion most officials do what they want not what the members want ,even the AGM had the questions pre approved and any contradicting their agenda discarded!

One club started a vendetta over access ,it became personal and ended up in court ,the club (or rather the committee  member) even after dragging in another member causing him to commit perjery lost and the club had to pay a great deal in damages ,not a murmer was heard by the members ! The committee member still kept his post because it was hushed up how can losing the club many thousands of pounds because an official refused to back down despite historic evidence to the contrary of what he wanted things to be be helping the club?

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My local small angling association has a handful of river venues and a pool.

I've been a member for decades but had never found the pool  while I lived in Birmingham.

Moving to Kidderminster meant that the pool was now on my doorstep, so I set out to find it, and it was a lovely out of the way weedy pond. It's actually on the front of their website, and it looks idyllic, with just the one accessible peg, right next to the car park. You could fish from plenty of other spots, but just the one had a landing stage.

Next time I checked it, it had been "improved"...

The weeds had been ripped out, the trees cut down, and a dozen landing stages had been installed, high above the water,  made from metal tube. It looks an absolute mess.

The club secretary was most put out when I pointed out that he'd transformed it from a pond in the woods to a "muddy ditch in a scaffolder's yard".

What winds me up though is rules. Usually stupid, petty rules where one group of anglers seek to ruin the sport of other anglers. The carp boys get control, and it's no keep nets, minimum hook sizes and line strengths, anglers must have unhooking mats etc. The match boys run the show, and it's barbless only, no livebaits, no braid etc.

Edited by Ken L
  • Thanks 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

4 hours ago, Ken L said:

My local small angling association has a handful of river venues and a pool.

I've been a member for decades but had never found the pool  while I lived in Birmingham.

Moving to Kidderminster meant that the pool was now on my doorstep, so I set out to find it, and it was a lovely out of the way weedy pond. It's actually on the front of their website, and it looks idyllic, with just the one accessible peg, right next to the car park. You could fish from plenty of other spots, but just the one had a landing stage.

Next time I checked it, it had been "improved"...

The weeds had been ripped out, the trees cut down, and a dozen landing stages had been installed, high above the water,  made from metal tube. It looks an absolute mess.

The club secretary was most put out when I pointed out that he'd transformed it from a pond in the woods to a "muddy ditch in a scaffolder's yard".

What winds me up though is rules. Usually stupid, petty rules where one group of anglers seek to ruin the sport of other anglers. The carp boys get control, and it's no keep nets, minimum hook sizes and line strengths, anglers must have unhooking mats etc. The match boys run the show, and it's barbless only, no livebaits, no braid etc.

All those kind of ridiculour rules and venue destruction will only cause anglers to leave the clubs or just put them off bothering to go fishing.  

4 minutes ago, Tigger said:

All those kind of ridiculour rules and venue destruction will only cause anglers to leave the clubs or just put them off bothering to go fishing.  

Worked for me. I've only had a BAA card for the last few years - although the BAA has its share of stupid rules too.

I have yet to figure out why I must have a landing net, even if I’m in the middle of the river with a fly rod or why I can fish for trout or pike with a spinner that has a treble hook, but not a chub or a perch.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 6:47 PM, Ken L said:

Worked for me. I've only had a BAA card for the last few years - although the BAA has its share of stupid rules too.

I have yet to figure out why I must have a landing net, even if I’m in the middle of the river with a fly rod or why I can fish for trout or pike with a spinner that has a treble hook, but not a chub or a perch.

Come on Ken, the landing net thing is about Dickheads who will try to Lift Good fish in from the Bank!!

I don't Fly fish but I get where you're coming from in the middle of the river where one can land Trout to hand. (but a short handled net on your back should be available for a Big un')

Re Chub & Perch - All the above mentioned could Grab a Spinner or Plug when fishing for Pike or Trout!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

One of the clubs I am a member of has a two tier membership system - full members and associate members.  The associate members actually now pay more for less due to a recent rule change AFTER my son and I paid our fees!!!  It is very doubtful if we will renew next year!  The committee members responsible should do the honourable thing and resign - obviously I know they won't!!!

Also the emphasis is now directed towards carp and carp angling while other waters are mostly neglected!  Fortunately I have other clubs which are run on a fairer basis.

Edited by Peterjg
  • Like 1