I actually went out fishing!

Ken L

First time this year, and was on the local reservoir.

I started out with a lure and got a few follows and bumps from big fish that wouldn't commit.

I switched over to a dry fly on a #5 weight, and ended up with four trout between two and two and a half pounds.

Got tapped up for some flies by my dad, and ended up giving the box - which is only fair, because I was there as his guest.

Those lures looked good in the water though, and I suspect that they are going to catch me a lot of chub when I take them on the river.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I never really stopped, but my health issues have simply stopped doing very much of anything, including fishing.

I've decided that getting old sucks.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I am quite lucky (or unlucky) I have a couple of hundred yards of bank about 200 yards away and another 600 about half a mile away and another mile 2 miles away .There's also the pond I used to bailiff but I am not going to fork out a £100 just to fish that my ages past outings of going fishing scores of miles away by public transport beyond my pocket and to strenuous to make any sense .

The unlucky bit is despite free fishing there's **** all to catch ! What the cormerants and crayfish miss the EA remove no doubt because the fluff chuckers insist the non fluff chucking scum get their filthy common fish out of their river . The rivers massively declined even since 1985 when we moved here the EA couldn't run a pissup in a barrel the once crystal clear stretch with its shoals of chub and dace at gostrey meadows and the maltings is a cloudy silting up disgrace even the eastern Europeans " no speaky English" in the close season eat fest are rare

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 4 weeks later...

I went out looking for fish but found two tick nymphs instead .The river when I almost fell in it was low and so clear you could only just see it was water only the streamer weed moving gave it away. Owner of field cannot afford to get field cut as the price has doubled so it's head high across the field .I guess even red diesel is expensive (eh cod ?) I cant wait to see all these electric tractors one man band farmers cannot afford .I guess putting them out of business indirectly is better than the Netherlands way they simply fold because of the price of  brand new versions instead of keeping their old fergies and internationals going hopefully such things are given a miss in the frenzy to obey the WEF

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 10 months later...

First visit to the reservoir this year on Thursday.

It was colder than expected, and I only managed a couple of fish.

The first one fell to a foam spider on the point, and the second to a buzzer pattern.

It was my first time fishing an indicator, and it worked perfectly, with me striking at both fish before I felt a pull.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:42 AM, Ken L said:

I never really stopped, but my health issues have simply stopped doing very much of anything, including fishing.

I've decided that getting old sucks.

Oh, I dunno. At 83 I can almost put my pant on without having to sit down to it.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

5 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Oh, I dunno. At 83 I can almost put my pant on without having to sit down to it.

My back is actually a bit better now, but my knees are knackered.

• Sad 1

My mrs has had 3 replacement knees! one was knackered in 11 months its replacement is half knackered ,shes on crutches but only had a stick pre op! (There was 6 months of fun pushing her about between left leg and right leg.) Our friend had two and can now run! Unfortunately removing the second knee did far more damage than its predecessor had pre installation . (Err confusing myself now)

To stop confusing myself her story is left knee was bone on bone and it was replaced by surgeon 1 ,all is fine .
Right knee was bone on bone and replaced a year after the first by surgeon 2 ,it failed 11 months later (came loose in the bone at one end and in the mean time had become obselete ) After 6 months in a wheelchair (just realised she was wheelchair bound twice ,tip you can hire them free from the red cross )

knee two was inserted but removing the other bit in the bone caused lots of damage both to bone and nerves .Knee not right and with damaged nerves means she doesnt know where her knee or foot are so needs crutches to stop her tipping over ,tried sticks but not enough support unless on perfectly flat surface ,unfortunately outside the home in reality nothing is perfectly flat and much fun is had watching re-runs of her falling

Unfortunately theres videos of me falling over tripping or in the case last week tripping over a bit of wood i carefully propped up so ii didnt trip over it .Covered in bruises (blood thinners dont help) and more scrapes on side of face than the local drunk discovering a crate of Guinness in a ditch. Luckily i bravely saw in slow motion a close up of tarmac scalpings bravely using my head to slow my fall incase i broke my hip .

My right knee is getting painful and our new treadmill isnt helping  you just cant bloody win !

Edited by chesters1