Blue & Black Swivel Beads??

Martin56

Eh' up guys,

I have some swivels with the Blue & Black Halved Bead.

Anyone know which colour goes to the Rod Side?? It is quite important which way, otherwise they can keep coming apart whilst fishing.

I did know one time but I've forgot.Ā  DohĀ šŸ˜•

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 4 weeks later...

I usually fish them with the mainline entering through the blue side, and then have a rubber shock bead between it and a swivel.

One tip is to put a rubber float stop above the link. With it a couple of feet up the line, everything works like a standard running ledger, but when bites get hard to hit, you can slide it down and create a scaled down bolt rig.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I occasionally use the ā€˜red & blackā€™ link beads when using a small link leger when after Barbel and Chub, but I havenā€™t used or seen the ā€˜blue & blackā€™ ones yet.

The ā€˜red & blackā€™ ones donā€™t come apart at all; but as you said the ā€˜blue & blackā€™ ones do come apart then Iā€™ll make sure that I steer clear of them if I ever see them.

Link-Leger.jpg

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

They're the same thing. The blue ones coming apart has only happened to me once - the two parts are press fit.

• Thanks 1

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've always found those placcy bits whatever colour they were or direction the line went through, they come appart, sometimes very quickly!

When they do split the swivel is still useable as they only cover the other swivel eye.Ā  I actually prefer to use them without those placcy covers.Ā  I would only buy the ones without those placcy covers now.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

I bought a packet because I couldnā€™t find any of my normal link beads which are green beads (and occasionally brown) with a side eye (all in one piece) which I sometimes use when using small link ledgers (See diagram)

I wonā€™t buy the two-part beads again now I know they come apart; even though they didnā€™t come apart at the times I used them. Iā€™ll just stock up with the one piece plastic beads which incorporate a side eye.

linkleger.png

Ā 

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

On 9/27/2023 at 7:23 PM, BoldBear said:

I occasionally use the ā€˜red & blackā€™ link beads when using a small link leger when after Barbel and Chub, but I havenā€™t used or seen the ā€˜blue & blackā€™ ones yet.

The ā€˜red & blackā€™ ones donā€™t come apart at all; but as you said the ā€˜blue & blackā€™ ones do come apart then Iā€™ll make sure that I steer clear of them if I ever see them.

Link-Leger.jpg

Keith

So then, shall we assume that Keith has the swivel the right way round?? (Red half rod side) AND because none of his have come apart yet!!

The coloured half IS designed to Indicate the direction of threading regardless of what colour (red, blue, yellow etc)

Ken - so maybe yours came apart because you threaded it the wrong way on that one occasion?? (Guy in shop, did say it's important to get it the right way round)

I just couldn't remember.Ā Ā 

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

8 hours ago, Martin56 said:

So then, shall we assume that Keith has the swivel the right way round?? (Red half rod side) AND because none of his have come apart yet!!

The coloured half IS designed to Indicate the direction of threading regardless of what colour (red, blue, yellow etc)

Ken - so maybe yours came apart because you threaded it the wrong way on that one occasion?? (Guy in shop, did say it's important to get it the right way round)

I just couldn't remember.Ā Ā 

Shop? I ordered mine through AliExpress.

Yes, I distinctly remember that the one time a bead came apart, it was threaded black side first.

Oh, and there's a smaller, less flat version available - don't bother.

I now almost exclusively use braid hooklengths for bottom fishing, and the one thing I will be trying is including a silicone sleeve to try to reduce tangles.

• Like 1