Strange bait???

*Ant*

OK, I'll start a new thread instead of hi-jacking others.

Is it really such a silly question to ask if anyone has tried the pink and white crab/fish sticks that can be found in supermarkets as bait?

I would be really, really interested to know if they have been used with any poitive results.

Please!!!

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Geoff Carlin

Tried them, easy to cut to shape and put on hook, from boat and shore. Nothing much happened. Cooked prawn did much better, either small ones as a hook tip addition or big ones on their own (best fish 5lb cod). Prawn, even though cooked, did much better than the amalgum of fish meat (mainly North Pacific coalfish if I am correctly informed), eat the fish stick and tip your bait with a cooked prawn. Geoff the cod.

Tried a selection of cooked shellfish bought from a supermarket once(nearly out of date), but little joy. Did the same with the cooked prawns, and again no luck.

While this is pretty standard fishing results for me, I felt that they would be better in their raw state, with more scent left.

B.A.S.S. member

Hiya,

I've used fish sticks in the past for Pike fishing and done quite well on them. As yet I've not tried them for Sea fishing, they seemed a bit of the soft side for that.

The boxes I've had have been made from Artic Pollack, with a very small percentage of it being crab.

Cooked prawns do catch a lot of fish on the east coast but seem to be very poor elsewhere... I dont know why that should be but it is :confused:

To be honest . you will catch fish on most of the baits the carp anglers use, things like peperami and even cheese do catch sea fish

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya

Chicken fillet! I use chicken fillet if I arrive somewhere late and can not get to a tackle shop. Into the local supermarket and one or two do. Easy to cut into strips, light, have to be bound up with shirring elastic (NB) but works well for most fish, especially after dark. Mullet, conger, bull huss, dogfish (grimace), even a wrasse have fallen to a strip of chicken breast! Not ideal but it beats not fishing at all...

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Hiya,

bacon rind and thin strips of banana skin have caught Pollack for me in the past, Weve also had LSD's on lumps of cheese and also on bits of peperami

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Sometimes as a boy the local tackle shop wouldn't sell the prized Lug to us "wippersnappers", knowing the boat anglers would need them.Our big alternative then was fresh Pigs liver,we only fished from the pier but caught small Cod in bucket loads.Those were the days,fishing from the pier on a Saturday night with the air filled with the wafts of cheap perfume and Cider.Sadly the old structure is now too dangerous to walk along but too costly to pull down.So yep PIGS LIVER.

Grant:

I dont really think I want the answer to this, but how did you find out about Pigs Liver?!!

The late Duggy Goodal used it on his longlines, he was the kind of guy that bothered with us younguns.I think he taught me more about fishing than any book could of done.He had a hip replacement at the tender age of 78 and was out lifting his Lobster pots a week later.One in a million!