match fishing, is it all pole?

Armarnold

Definately at club level! Enter the opens to soon and you will just be "pools fodder" for the experienced guys.

However if there is no club that has a reasonable match scene near you then choose just one venue that you can fish.Go and watch a few matchs on it,practice what you have seen then once your confident enough try entering a small open on it.

Where in Kent are you as I may be able to offer a few suggestions?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to show that I put my money where my mouth is regarding second hand poles I have just bought a 14.5m maver from James P. on here. It came with 5 spare tops, elasticated with pulla bungs, the works, and looks very well looked after. It only arrived this afternoon, just in time for my trip to France.

I have had a bit of a waggle and at 14.5m it is lighter than my cheap DAM at 8m

Absolutely delighted with it at less than a third of what it would have cost when it first came out.

Thanks James, 100% feedback from me :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Definately at club level! Enter the opens to soon and you will just be "pools fodder" for the experienced guys.

However if there is no club that has a reasonable match scene near you then choose just one venue that you can fish.Go and watch a few matchs on it,practice what you have seen then once your confident enough try entering a small open on it.

Where in Kent are you as I may be able to offer a few suggestions?

"cough,cough......sheppey :) ", thanx by the way

Im afraid I dont know any of the waters on the Island that well but I believe one is quite commercial so that may have opens.Club wise you would possibly be better off looking at Maidstone Victory (I believe they have a web site) if youve got transport.They used to have quite an active match scene which held both small in house club matchs and bigger opens on several of their waters running and still.

Have you tried your local tackle shop for info on small matchs /clubs?

Im afraid I dont know any of the waters on the Island that well but I believe one is quite commercial so that may have opens.Club wise you would possibly be better off looking at Maidstone Victory (I believe they have a web site) if youve got transport.They used to have quite an active match scene which held both small in house club matchs and bigger opens on several of their waters running and still.

Have you tried your local tackle shop for info on small matchs /clubs?

unfourtunatley our local tackle shops a bit half arsed really, we have a good and well dedicated sea angling shop, but not much in the way of course fishing so i usually just head up to ashford tackle,

stones is our commercial but i pretty much hate the place,

there used to be a good set of lakes near the prison but now its under the control of prison officers and to fish there you have to buy shares in the place!, and there expensive, and they dont have a fish scientist onboard or anything so........crap really,

there is however a system of dykes in a relativley nice location(well, nice for sheppey) that offer free membership. they used to have loads of members and hold matches, so i think this will be a good place for me to start practicing.......anyone heard of lewis's farm? or fished it?

hi there everyone, this is my first post here so id like to say hi first! :)

ive recently handed in my badge at the ol boillie n bite alarm brigade and have got myself into fishing for smaller fish in greater numbers, what really appeals to me is the variety and i prefer the asthetics of a float or quiver tip, i just find it more exiting.

what i want to know is, are all matches these days exlusivley fished with poles?, i havent yet tried pole fishing and am not sure if it appeals to me at all(yet), and tbh i just love using a rod n reel.

so wats the score with matches using rod n reel, can you use this set up on matches where others are using poles?, is it worth it in terms of efficiency?.

if anyone could give me the lowdown id be well apprieciative,, and thanx for any input ;)

Alot of commercial match fisheries these days are designed IMO for the pole angler eg.donut shaped puddle with an island at 16m or a canal shaped trench,where rod and line are a waste of time.I,m not saying that you wont catch fish but theres no way you will compete with a good pole angler who can position his bait an inch from an island or opposite bank,where most of the fish in these places(mainly small carp)hang out.I myself fish small club matches but avoid these holes in the ground like the plague,i don,t see why i should have to spend £1000+on a load of pole gear just to stand a chance of competing. Edited by wellyphant

Alot of commercial match fisheries these days are designed IMO for the pole angler eg.donut shaped puddle with an island at 16m or a canal shaped trench,where rod and line are a waste of time.I,m not saying that you wont catch fish but theres no way you will compete with a good pole angler who can position his bait an inch from an island or opposite bank,where most of the fish in these places(mainly small carp)hang out.I myself fish small club matches but avoid these holes in the ground like the plague,i don,t see why i should have to spend £1000+on a load of pole gear just to stand a chance of competing.

I fish quite a few small lakes and ponds around me here in South Lincolnshire, although they are just a hole in the ground and they charge to fish them, I suppose you would call them commercials, but nearly all of them are small brick pits where they took the clay out to make the bricks for the surrounding houses in late Victorian times, they are all naturally stocked nearly every village has one

There is a specially dug commercial I have been to in Boston, the difference with that is there is a bridge to the Island, and you all fish on there to the outside, but everyone casts to the outside except me, wherever I am, I always fish under my feet.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

thankyou for the informative reply steve, so is it safe to say that in a match

and whats a good choice for an entry level pole?

I'd go for a decent margin pole something like the Middy White Knuckle and target features like Lily pads, reed beds, shelves. Might be worth waiting to next year now as the weather gets colder.

Tony

I'd go for a decent margin pole something like the Middy White Knuckle and target features like Lily pads, reed beds, shelves. Might be worth waiting to next year now as the weather gets colder.

why is that mate?, is pole fishing relatively any worse than other methods in the winter? i try to get out in all seasons if possible, getting wet/cold has never been an issue for me .. i'll have a gander at that middy white knuckle and thanx for the reccomendation ;)

What I should imagine RP means is that the tactics/tackle hes talking about are primarily aimed at targetting carp on commercial fisheries.As such these are normally more productive in the warmer months.