boat fishing

modman

I really think I would like to leave the beach and do a bit of inshore fishing next year.

Does any of you guys out there know of a small boat for sale.

16 . 18 ft, outboard, and as i live in oxford a trailor. Cheapish as it will be a first boat.

Cheers

modman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

modman:

nick@isleofmuck.com has one up for sale, ALL safety gear, 55hp and a reserve 4hp new gps plotter, vhf, trailer (good un)probably let it go for £2,800 but am not sure. Its a Seahog with full cover (new).

Worth an email, one problem is that it is on the Isle of Muck but I have mates up there that could probably get it down to Glasgow

Alan(nl)

[ 23. October 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Modman nothing to do with your boat enquiry but been looking for other anglers around oxford.Either a local club or someone to fish with beach or boat.

Dont actually drive but would be willing to pay the petrol.

If your interested please get in touch you can get me e-mail from my link.

Cheers

Gareth

Chappers, Modman.

I`m organising a weekend trip from Weymouth to Dartmouth and back 6/7th Dec`. I`m taking 2 mates with me. As we`re all dyed in the wool sea anglers, you might see what you`re letting yourselves in for?LOL If your free that weekend and fancy a go mail me and I`ll give you more info.

Modman, I`m not trying to teach grannie to suck eggs? But do you have any experience of deep sea fishing and boating. `Cos it isn`t a point and click past-time. OK. Tell me you did 12yrs in the SBS and can drive anything with an engine.

:P:P Paul. :P:P

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Thanks

for your concern Spasor. You are right though.

I will have a lot to learn, perhaps a couple of hundred yards off shore to start with.

My experience consists of a paddling a canoe up the Thames ( no tides, no currents )

Modman

Hi Modman, welcome. We all started once, so don't be put off by dire warnings. If possible go out with someone for a season, you might love it or you might hate it - small boats are VERY bumpy and you have to have an Xtra strong stomach. Then try a small boat and fish the estuaries, and gradually build up your own confidence. I'd recommend doing the RYA Day Skipper courses - some colleges do these as evening courses, and its a good way to while away Winter evenings, dreaming about fishing on a flat calm sea under the blazing sun....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Thanks Salar, I`d just love to hear about a newbie that got caught with his pants down on his first trip with his nice new boat?

No. Seriously. Too many folk think you just buy a boat then give it a try-out in the catpark?

It is an endless source of mirth for folk in sea-side towns all round the UK to watch a newbie proceed down the slipway? The only thing some boats and cars have in common is a steering wheel? Even this doesn`t work in the same way that car drivers expect. Hard to port? Christ, nothings happening. Then suddenly it does, straighten up and you`re still turning to port, then you hit something expensive? I`ve watched too many folk leaving slipways with big grins on their faces. Only to find out that their prized posession doesn`t have normal steering or brakes.

In fact when they look for help, they find howls of dirision and ribald comments wafting from the quay?

Modman. Take Salars advice. Try a few charter trips, or find a boat-share. Even competent charter skippers, sometimes have to call out the lifeboat. And they`ve had years of experience. They get consoled by the lifeboat crew. Newbies get nothing but scorn?

Boat sharing can be instructive, and a damn sight cheaper than putting all the `hard earned` at risk, before you even know if you like sea-angling?

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

Forgive me for preaching. But after fishing for 45yrs I`ve found it neccessary. `Cos some folk refuse to listen.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Orca:

Good advise Paul

When I brought my last boat the second thing I did was find a sheltered slipway, which as luck would have it also housed a fishing club. Loads of local knowledge and help was provided, I never did get the hang of going dow the slipway backwards so I had to get there very early or very late to save making a complete prat of myself :o

We launched the first time on a beach, loads of room so no problems until it was time to get the boat back on the trailer, the weather had turned 180 degrees and so had the sea. We got swamped by just one wave, as luck ould have it there were some big strong lads on hand to help us out, never again.

The hours of fun you can have with your own boat is brilliant so are the overheads :( insurance is high, fuel is expensive as is maintenance and you will need a safe place to leave it when not in use.

Good luck to you.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/