boat fishing

modman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modman - all the above advice is excellent. But the part they didn't mention is how absolutely wonderful it is to have a boat if you do enjoy fishing from one. Nothing like it.

I'd say that unless you are prone to small boat motion sickness (which oddly enough isn't quite the same as large boat motion sickness although some folks are prone to both), then by all means give it a go.

And if you do happen to be one who gets sick, there are some very effective preventative measures available these days so you could still enjoy yourself.

You mentioned staying close to shore at first. Maybe not such a great idea. Rougher and more likely to have underwater hazards than out a bit further.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Modman

Bear in mind that when you do decide to buy a small boat, the shape of the keel has a significant bearing on the motion the boat and its passengers will experience on the water.

My mate is investing with myself in a new 18' early next year and he gets sick at the sight of a wave (!) so we are looking for a double or triple hull boat that gives greater stability...

FWIW

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Sorry Newt. Of course having the freedom of your own little craft is wonderful. You can just hook up the trailer and go off fishing. Whatever the weather there`s generally somewhere you can launch and spend a day hoping for the big one? Even if it`s only a small sheltered estuary.

It`s just that I`ve seen too many folk get into severe difficulties. When with a tad of experience, they`d never never have put themselves in such a situation. That`s why I`d reccomend boat sharing. I often see boat owners asking for a fishing pal to share expenses in return for a regular trip. I`m sure it doesn`t take long for the `fishing pal` to turn into a part-time skipper.

Go ahead modman and look out for a boat. Just don`t launch it without a tad of experience behind you.

:cool: Paul. :cool:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

.....  Go ahead modman and look out for a boat. Just don`t launch it without a tad of experience behind you.

Sage advice spasor. And he will certainly make the Coast Guard (or whatever UK equiv.) happy since he will be much less likely to need rescue in the midst of a horrible storm.

I'm going to get a larger boat myself come spring. Longer, wider, and much higher sides. Even though I only do fresh water with it, there are times when a large lake can get rough and I've been wet and more than a little nervous several times this past year so it's time to move up. Not worried for my safety so much but afraid I'd lose gear over the side or possibly take an unexpected swim.

The 17ft I have now was fine for all the waters I fished when I bought it. But lately I've been getting on some much larger lakes and I'd rather have more boat than to have to stay home when the weather might get bad.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt.

Buying a boat is much the same as buying a `greenhouse or conservatory`? As soon as its installed you wish you`d bought a bigger one!

Sorry Newt. Don`t suppose you need a glasshouse to protect garden plants from `frost` where you reside?

I`d reccomend sea angling to all, even `fluff chucking with Norrie`. But putting out to sea requires a modicum of knowledge. Especially when the nearest source of aid may take 30mins to reach you.

Just a thought. How many on this forum donate to the RNLI??(Life boats Newt)

Well, why not buy their charity Xmas cards.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

How many on this forum donate to the RNLI??(Life boats Newt)

Well, why not buy their charity Xmas cards.

Paul.

Orca and I are fully paid up Joint Shoreline Members and Markie has Junior Membership and when we go to either Mallaig or Oban we always make sure we buy something from the RNLI shop. Something anyone who uses the water should do, hopefully never need to use the lifeboats but they are there if needed but only if people keep donating. To us seafarers they are the 4th emergency service.

[ 29. October 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya, Whats this `fluff chucking with Norrie.Didnt you enjoy it then....I always thought catching a fish was a bonus. Perhaps the flourescent green jacket you were wearing was the problem. I didn't like to mention it at the time,as we were too busy watching guys to our left and our right catching fish. Come back the Dutch Branch all is forgiven. :D

PS, I try and donate to the RNLI when I can, I should really take out a thingy with the bank, after all thats how I pay my A.A. membership,and if I need to use it, it will more than likely be more important than a non starter outside the house......

[ 29. October 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Giving money to the RNLI is money well spent - these guys save boat fishers - plus stranded rock fishermen and beach anglers cut off by the tide, as well as pleasure boaters and commercial boats in trouble. They are 100% a charity, and before someones says "it should be a public service" - it was for a short time, and the Gov. of the time made such a b*lls of it, it quickly went back to being a charity. Would you want the RNLI run like the education, police and health services of the UK? (no disrespect to the hardworking individuals on those services of course) So please help them - here's a link. http://www.rnli.org.uk/join.asp Even a Governer subscription is the equivalent of less than a pint of beer a week...

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk