40,000 tons

Ian Burrett

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

want to enlighten me about the piano wire b-c,i live in a small fishing village that was made during the herring years and have done a fair bit oh looking into the Difters,zulus and fifies that used to fill the harbour.so would realy like to hear about it.

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

It's just that if they found a shoal of Herring weighing 1,000 tons? .... in 7days they would need to find another 39 shoals likewise ....

The ship must have returned to port often ….. the weight of 40,000 tons is enormous!

What displacement would a ship need to be to carry 40,000 tons of fish/cargo etc ….

What sized refrigeration units would a ship need to cater for such an enormous load, the volume of 1,000 tons of fish is vast in comparison to normal cargo?

Splitting the weight of 40,000 tons by 4 equals 10,000 tons …. They would need a massive vessel to deal with this weight alone and still make four journeys to the grounds to consecutively.

Even if they could take 440 tons per night they would need ten nights to take 4,400 tons and still process it ….

It’s just that 40,000 tons of herring in 7 days seems a tall order … I’m no commercial fisherman and have no knowledge if this is so, or not! … would be interesting if someone could tell me if it’s possible and what vessels they use to achieve this absolute massive hauls from the sea …. No wonder the sea’s are in the state they are :o (

p.s. purely a post out of interest I'm not doubting anyone!

blindog:

want to enlighten me about the piano wire b-c,i live in a small fishing village that was made during the herring years and have done a fair bit oh looking into the Difters,zulus and fifies that used to fill the harbour.so would realy like to hear about it.

Lenny

I think they used a set up where a weight was let out on the end of a long length of piano wire - if they could feel the wire being 'tapped' then they would shoot the nets as this was more often than not a shoal of Herring.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Enjoyed some good fishing for the Herring this year from both boat and shore, seemed to be plenty around ... it is one fish I do enjoy on the plate (show me a tuchtar whom doesn't LOL) - though I liken fishing for them from the boat to watching paint drying.

On the commerical side, a small number of very large vessels fishing for them of the Western Isles from what I hear, mainly landing in Ullapool (I may be wrong). I dont know if its been toned down or what - as there were years there we would hardly see a Herring all year round, just the odd one... hopefully a good sign that we are seen more.

When I see the size of the vessels fishing out in the Atlantic .... I do wonder how there are fish left in the sea.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Someone has got the figures wrong. The Atlantic Dawn, the biggest fishing vessel in the world can catch and process 350 tons of fish a day and store up to 7000 tons frozen for off-loading in the Canary Islands. To put that in perspective that is enough fish to feed 18 MILLION people!

But the owner has a bank loan to pay so I suppose it must be OK.

Incidentally the Atlantic Dawn isn't Russian, Eastern European or some other flag of convenience state - it's IRISH! So much for EU stock conservation. Just read on the net about how much rule bending and fiddling went on to get this monstrosity registered.