Mackeral shortage

Alan Taylor

quote:

Loads in the Firth of Forth yesterday - they were even taking rag worm fished on the sea bed!
Sorry guys should have pointed out it was from a boat out of Anstruther :rolleyes:

If anyone fancies a Scottish shore fishin meet up anytimes gives a shout

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KennyC:

quote:

Loads in the Firth of Forth yesterday - they were even taking rag worm fished on the sea bed!
Sorry guys should have pointed out it was from a boat out of Anstruther :rolleyes:

quote:

quote:

Certainly up for that if something can get sorted. Based in Edinburgh and not long started shore fishing so a meet up would hopefully address my lack of 'local' knowledge
Me too, I'm based in Limekilns, near Dunfermline. :)

I went on holiday to Cornwall a month or so ago and the first thing I did was head to Mavagissey with my Mackerel feathers. About 6 years ago I went there and caught into double figures every time.

This time the most I got was 2 pollack and a bass in one session, and not a Mackerel all week! The fishermen I spoke to there said they hardly every catch Markerel there anymore, as the boat fishermen went Mackereling right near the jetty on their way back into Mevagissey to cacth a few more.

In doing this they have ruined the Mackereling in that area.

Booooooooo!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

mike, you should try any of the deep water marks from burntisland upwards. mainly catching them on mackeral/squid combo on float gear. its getting a bit late now in the year but there is always next year for them...i wouldnt suggest going any further up than kirkcaldy unless you can get access to a boat, but it was a bit pants last night. only got 3 between the two of us, which was a bit weird as it was a cracking day, but freezing wind blowing in, so maybe thats enough to start them on there journey out to sea again? if you want to try you beach casting out to you can go for flatties from the esplanade! you dont need to be to far out though, just behind the surf with a bit of mackeral/squid, or ragworm, will get you into the flatties. try the car park right at the begining of the esplanade next to the bus station, and walk down the side of the burn to the shore, usually a good spot( better on a falling tide!)expect fish up to and over a pound. you could always try the slip way at kincarding bridge to, get codling and bass of there plus flatties.

101 north,

fish mainly over your side of the forth if i have a whole day to myself, usually from dunbar down to eyemouth...woudl tell you more but it has taken us countless miles and hours to find good spots, belive me thought, they are there to find and the best ones are the most obvious.just look for some deep water and you usually find the mackeral..but again it is getting a bit late now!

• 3 weeks later...

just thought i would resurrect this thread in view of the days fishing i had yesterday.

because of the wind we went to st.abbs instead of my usual launch at skateraw as its more sheltered from the west winds due to the protection from st.abbs head.

i have never seen so many mackerel in my puff, the whole of the bay to the headland was covered in birds picking at tiny sandeels the mackerel were chasing to the surface, it was like being back in kenya, the mackerel were busting all over the place drop 3 hokeyes instant 3 mackerel and these are big mackies, nothing under 1lb with some probably 2lb plus.

with so many mackerel about we decided to fill the boxes and buckets on the boat for tonys restaraunt, plus put some aside for skate bait.

while we were doing this i was deliberatly bringing mine in very slowly hoping that there might be a rogue porbeagle in amongst them, but it wasn't to be, not that i had any gear to fish for one if it showed up, i just wanted to get destroyed to prove a point.

about 5 years ago we were catching mackerel in approx the same place when my mates dad was wrecked on a string of mackerel by what he thought was a seal, but a few minutes later 7 footplus porbeagle shark followed my pirk and hokeyes to the surface right next to the boat, it was about 2 feet down right next to us, quite exciting stuff, my mate put a mackerel in his feathers and hooked ot straight away, it run him round the boat a few times and bit the hook off, so they are catchable, if the mackies are still aroungd in a couple of weeks i'm going to have a go again, with so many mackies about something has to be feeding on them

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Happy Dude:

With so many mackerel about we decided to fill the boxes and buckets on the boat for tonys restaraunt

er, unless the boat is a licensed commercial fishing vessel, that's illegal.

Recently the coastguard was called out when two blokes were fishing in a speedboat on the Medway and couldn't restart their engine.

The let slip that they owned a restuarant in London, and that's where their catch was destined to go.

The Fisheries Inspector was waiting for them when they got ashore and they were prosecuted!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

illegal or not i bet nearly everyone on this forum with a boat has sold a fish or two! i personally would never be able to fuel my hungry outboard without the sale of a few boxs of mackeral, was getting a pound a kilo for them this summer! :rolleyes: :confused:

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

north berwick thats near my favourite place (tear in eye) seton sands :) untill it was changed into a caravan site :mad: :mad: used to go there 3 or 4 times a year as a kid to stay at my nans chalet ,great times now spoilt by "progress"

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

hi leon, i didn't know that....even in scotland as we have different laws up here??

not too many fisheries officers at st.abbs i'm glad to say, mind you they are only mackerel, not sacred bass or mullet

chesters.... you wouldn't like seaton sands now, it's a sea of celtic and rangers jerseys, mind you they do have the ubiquitous burberry baseball hats in common :D

thurso angler...i get nothing for the mackerel, tony helps keeps his struggling business afloat on the few fish he catches :P

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif