The Cost of Angling

sam-cox

This post wasnt ment to be a moaning post.

The goverment I think value our sport at around 3 billion quid per year. I wondered where the figures come from. After all no one from the govement has ever asked me or any anglers I know how much their fishing costs.

At present there are several battles being fought on the conservation front, and one of weapons being used is that the angling inderstry is worth more than the comercial fishing inderstry.

I thought buy us posting our costs we on this forum would get a fair idear how much angling is worth to us.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could walk to all the places I fish but I choose to drive so at the most £2.00 on petrol. I only use bait I can catch or gather myself.

My main actual running expense is lead. If I am rock fishing I expect to loose a good few every trip.

Capital costs are the thing that get me. If you add up all the purchase costs of my gear and work on a five year life expectancy and divide that by the amount of fishing trips I would still see this as my biggest cost. If I get ten years out of the gear then I am laughing.

I can't set fishing off against other things I could be doing as there isn't nuch to do here but this can work either way.

Instead of thinking about my business I tend to be thinking about fishing. So this is a loss.

The reverse is, instead of sitting in front of the telly or doing that job the wifes been nagging about for years I am out on the rocks improving my health and peace of mind so this goes in the priceless coloumn

If I try to balance the fishing books I come to the conclusion that as soon as I have run the wife to the shop and made my flask of tea I am off to the Vat of Kirbister for a date with that record fish or unknown species.

Bob

Sam

A lot of evidence was taken from the drew report. I feel that it underestimated the situation. Whitby was one of the areas where the research was undertaken, I know of not one person who was interviewed. Im guessing they interviewed mainly part time summer pleasure anglers - The type who buy a rod and reel and a few spinners for a tenner or less and fish for makeral or a few other species in the harbour. I know of not one of the big spending shore anglers being interviewed, and thier are thousand of those who fish this coastline sept - April every year. Was the research even undertaken at this time of year??

When its calm all the areas around you are good. You dont like cliffs but I here those just to the south of you are doing well. MArine drive is a good chance

on first hours of a smallish flood.

Something about this time of year and your area means the codling are still there despite the clear water. Perhaps its the huge kelp beds off marine drive, and all those rocks providing cover.

there has been a number of reports , the drew report of last year put the the figure at £538 million spent by sea anglers , with the cost of travel , BB etc this rises to £1 to 1.3 billion .

There was also another report released earlier this year from the Invest in fish South west project.

The report called IFWS workpackage 10, it was more detailed than drew , it also showed that the drew report was undervalued.

cheers

Tom