Handling sea fish?

Bretty

Hi all,

I don't get to sea fish all that often and when i do only from the shore.

I would just like to know which fish are dangerous to handle and why? and the best way to handle them?

I thought that sea scorpion looked a bit scarey, and just read about the spines on skate and weever fish. So what other dangers are there?

Bretty

quote:

Originally posted by Bretty:

[QB][/QB]

Hi Bretty,

not the most dangerous fish in the world but the Dog fish/Huss have a nasty habit of trying to take the skin off the back of your hand that is holding its head while you take the hook out. In sailing ship days the skin from doggies was dried and used as a kind of sand paper.

Spur dogs are aptly named, they have a couple of very nasty spikes on them that do hurt.

Most ugly fish are not very nice so when in doubt, use a glove or a couple of layers of toweling.

Sleep well.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

If Shorefishing, the following might be encountered:-

Fish with poisonous spines - Weevers, Sting Rays, Spur dogs

Fish with non-poisonous spines/thorns but still can cause painful wounds, liable to go septic - Sea Scorps, Bass, Wrasse, Sea Breams, Most rays.

Fish with sand paper skin - Huss (dogfish)

Several fish have sharp teeth - even the fighting whiting, but have a good look before trying to unhook ANY fish you are not familiar with - a few fish, like skates, rays, and monkfish have protrusible mouths that can shoot out and grab your fingers - monkfish are particularly dangerous that way.

You have it easy in Britain though. Around the world I've come across some pretty savage fish. One in Australia, the Black Spinefoot, is common in Queensland, and a bit like a seabream, and if you get spiked, you get paralysed for 24 hours (USUALLY the lungs stay functional though) The Aussies, in their whimsical way, call these fish "Happy Moments"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In our water you may get cut from some spurs from Spurdogs and Thornback Rays but look out for the bad'ey of them all the WEEVER! Whow Eeeeey.

Dave Mc

Join Sefton Sea Anglers

(Merseyside)

E-mail me

Fish don't need teeth or spines to hurt. Rays and other shellfish feeders have amazing crushing power in their jaws to munch crabs etc. When unhooking to return alive, poke a block of wood in their mouth to protect your fingers - if keeping any fish bash it on the head before unhooking to save suffering of both fish and self. If returning any fish, do what the coarse anglers do and only hold with a wet cloth not a dry one, or you will do so much damage to their slime protection it will probably die anyway.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Mind you it aint just sea fish to warey of, ever stuck your fingers down a Chubs gullet? dont, you wont get it back! Pike, perch and zander can be unfriendly too!

Dan :P

[ 13 April 2002, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Harold:

Dont forget Wrasse!

I love wrasse, especially the way they smile at you with their National Health dentures :D

RNLI Governor

OH Ye of little faith?

Never handle any fish without a wet cloth?

You may want to put it back alive? If you`re scared of getting pricked by a spine. Try stamp collecting.

You load of woosers!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Oi aint scared of no bleeden teef!

Posted Image

RNLI Governor