New skate rod

Norm B

Shakespeare have kindly given me a 30/50 conger rod and a set of Aftco braid rollers to convert it into the new Catchalot skate rod.. The rod is about 7ft 10 inches with a nice firm action and joins at the winch fitting. At the moment it has rings but that is about to change when the prototype comes out. If it is deemed successful it will come into production, probably next year. Shakespeare are very good at listening to their customers. When they were told that some of their rods needed to be longer, they brought out some longer rods. When I said that their 9 foot 15lb class rod would make a superb braid gilling rod if fitted with braid rollers, they had one made and sent it to me to test, it's great, hopefully it will be out next year. Gilling rod, it's great with crabs for smoothhounds too. I like the logo, "unbreakable in normal fishing" I assume common skate are normal fish. :cool:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davey.

Your camera is now in safe hands? Well it`s in mine.

I`ve had several Shakespeare rods, with the `unbreakable in normal use` bull/s logo. I think it means, if it`s a 30/50 rod it will land 30/30lb fish? Because if I use my light spinning rod and hook a monster bass. I`m sure Shakespeare will declare it `not normal use` if the fish rips all the line off my reel and smashes my rod? However, should I manage to land that monster, they`d advertise the fact long after I`m dead.

I`d trust `normal use` as much as I`d trust a politicians promise.

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Spasor,

I have to defend manufacturers. I have only had excellent service, whenever I have had a breakage (at least three times) they have replaced the rod without question. The "normal" bit is so they don't get claims from twits that run over them in a car or play sword fights with them. Its actually not worth their while to quibble, the cost of replacing a rod to them is a fraction of what we pay in the shops and they can't afford the bad publicity - imagine how quickly a p**ed off customer could spread the word these days via forums like this.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Davy Holt:

Hiya Norm,

Well done... I'm looking forward to seeing the prototype :):)

To see the prototype you need to get the gang together again. Some good news for you. Berkley

are doing 1/0 & 2/0 swivels with crosslock snaps at 175lb & 200lb BS. i ALSO FOUND SOME SNAPS AT efftex BUT THEY'RE OBSOLETE NOW BERKLEY ARE DOING BETTER ONES. :D