do only bass matter ????

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

I have recently been trying to get people to tackle the issue of "black fish" ie illegally caught over quota fish allegedly finding its way to illegal markets. the fish in question being cod

Please see my topic titled over fishing

I continuously meet a brick wall. Im fast coming to the conclusion that bass and salmon are thye only fish people want to conserve.

I would like to ask all here at the sea fishing forum. Are bass the only fish your bothered about.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally concerned about the general state of sea stocks.

The focus on bass, from my perspective, isd due to their high price, and label as a gamefish.

Yes I care about Bass stocks, but also about stocks of other fish, and especially those that are slow growing.

Cod don't fit into that, but still suffer from over fishing on a larger scale.

B.A.S.S. member

no. but cod aren't either. The whole industry needs reviewing again - (foreign and uk fleets fishing in uk waters). Its ok setting quotas but they should be consistant across different nations which I don't believe they are at present....

Guest jay_con

yes i believe your right about Norway.

A skipper from here ended up in prison there last year simply for not informing the authorities he was in their waters.

they come down heavy on anyone breaking the rules. Not like here where skippers get fined a thousand pounds or even less for very major offences. the next landing of black fish covers the fine and still leaves them in profit.

I believe Norway takes away the commercial licences of serial offenders too. yes I believe they certainly have the right Idea. what a top quote from macky

I'd be happy to catch anything. Although to be fair, I do get a bit hacked off hearing about everybody rushing around the country trying to catch cod as though it's the pinnacle of sea fishing. It's just a fish, no more important or less worthy than any other fish.

The fact is that some keen bass fishermen have taken the time and trouble to form a society for their protection and they now get a lot of coverage, and why not!

I'm not only concerned about Bass and Salmon. Long live the Conger, Tope, Smoothhound, Rays, Turbot (yeah whatever happened to Turbot!) and good old flounder.

Technology within the fishing industry has made it more efficient.

It's a pity they can't increase the miles to the gallon that a car can do, on the same scale, but that's another can of worms.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

It's not only bass that matter, we all know that but I believe that it's the fish that we stand the best chance of protecting because:

1. It is relatively unimportant commercially

2. We really only need to protect the spawning stock, during a relatively short period of the year.

3. It is a fish that a lot of anglers do pursue and spend money to do so.

4. In pair trawling for Bass, Dolphins are a by-catch and we all know how the general public feel about them.

The point is if we can get protection or sportfish status for bass then the precedent is set and more species can follow.

Winter.

Of course Bass aren`t the only fish that matter. But, with Bass being an important sea/game fish? It`s a good place to start.

Whatever some folk think. Politicians will never allow any drastic action, that impacts on our home fleet whilst leaving the continentals to carry on. Therefore a ban on fishing Bass nursery grounds by ALL, seems a good place to start?

I just hope some tree hugger doesn`t decide that doggies are cuddly.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!