Desford SAS @ Pakefield Suffolk

John E Ashford

DESFORD SEA ANGLING SOCIETY

Annual Shore Competition Pakefield 2004.

Well the usual pickup by my brother at 3am as we were meeting the others, in Leicester for 3.30am. All into the mini bus we started heading for Pakefield beach at Suffolk. All talk of what each one was going to catch, if the catch is as good as the crack, we will have to catch the train back, as the mini bus will be full of fish.

Arriving at Lowestoft our first call was the Café. 9 full English breakfasts were ordered. Still talk of super piscatorial beasts while I collected the bait costs. We were mainly using Seabait Ragworm, delivered to our house Friday morning. With 9 ordering it keeps the costs down. Also we were to try out new artificial bait from the company Smartbait Called Peel-a-Crab. This was to prove useless, as nowt was caught with it.

Breakfast over we moved to Sam Hooks Tackle Shop Lowestoft, where we picked up those bits n bobs + some wanted Peeler Crabs and some Lugworm. Whispers of what have you bought; secrecy is a no no in our Society. All had to own up what they had bought.

Posted Image

Into the car park, at Pakefield, the sea looking fishy we were all buzzing as we put on our floaties and loaded our boxes and rods etc. Down to the beach we trundled and positioned the place we were to fish from. All rods and tackle baited we all then cast to the horizon at 8am. Anticipation running high, smiles and glances up and down the beach to see who would pull the first fish. After two casts Cliff Moulds rod bent as he started to retrieve, within minutes he landed a 1lb 4oz Dogfish.

Posted Image

Cliffs Doggie.

This started a buzz fish started to come in from most of the rods, Whiting, Bass, Pouting, Flatties and Rockling. No Cod, but this was early days. Tide Times, HT 9am LT 3.30pm-ish. North, Westerly Winds 15. Heavy, Showers through out the day, with the sun shinning through the odd cloud breaks.

All were catching apart from our Minibus driver, Brian Julian. It was not to be his day. There was one report of one angler, 500yds to the left of us; pendulum casting to a distance had pulled in 3 Codling to 2lb 8oz.

We were not to get any Cod this day.

Posted Image

John E's Bass.

Posted Image

Jason's Bass.

Posted Image

John E & Dave Ashford.

2pm and things went quiet with the odd pouting being caught. Time approaching 4pm all were ready for that pint. Clearing up and heading for the minibus all was asking how their days fishing went. All enjoyed their day but no piscatorial monsters were heading for the Pan. All fish caught were returned.

Winner of the Desford Sea Angling Societies Annual Shore Competition.

Cliff Moulds 1st - 1lb 4oz Dogfish. Trophy & Multiplier Reel + Pool Money.

Posted Image

Jason Julian 2nd- 6oz Bass Multiplier Reel

Trev Moulds 3rd- 3oz Pouting Fixed Spool Reel.

John E Ashford 4th- 3oz Bass Fixed Spool Reel

Posted Image

Others received a lucky bag of Traces and Lures.

Presentation over, pints downed, it was time to call into the Fish n Chip shop before heading home with a 3hr journey in front of us.

A good day's beach fishing over, no Monsters, but fish were brought ashore. All Returned We are now looking forward to our Liverpool Fish n Meet/Eat in December where the Cod will be there, in the Mersey, for the taking.

See you all at Liverpool 4th December.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

Guest jay_con

No secrecy? I bet the winner had a little scent pot in his bag that he added to his bait when the rest of you werent looking.

Nice pics guys, good report.

Thought you were in with a chance of a cod or two. It seems that there were some around with some anglers taking four or five, though I would imagine these came at night. The high pressure also killed off any decent rough seas. I had one just over 3lb Sat night at Hopton caught a long way out. However as I stood alone in the rain, I imagine you had more fun, and that is what fishing is about. Nice to see some pics.

Good post John, enjoyed reading that and some nice piccies...........

maybee a few of the fish could have benefitted from adobe photoshop and some bullshit...

here you go..............

Posted Image

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."