loading reel line

rob.i

Hi people I am loading my reel with new line .Im almost sure that some one on the forum said the line should come off the new spool anti clockwise is this correct thanks .....rob

when you think you know everything think again....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on which way your reel spool turns.

Put about ten turns on the reel and then stop,

open the bail arm and pull some back off the reel spool,

if it twists together you need to come off the opposite side of the line spool -

obviously if it doesn't twist up then just keep going the way you were

Whilst on this topic, what would you say is the best knot to use to tie line to the spool?

Would placing the spool of line in water help to improve the quality of line-lay?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

cheers John .Alan I tie a normal knot leaving a tail then wind on a couple of turns then another normal knot,As for putting the spool in the water I havent a clue.....Rob

when you think you know everything think again....

I've always filled my reel straight off a revolving spool. I know a lot of folk would argue that creates line twist but I've never had any fuss to be quite honest. I've only encountered twist when spinning in rivers and that's only after a really heavy session.

After you fill the spool, leave the line unclipped and place the whole spool in lukewarm water and leave it there overnight. It helps the line 'relax' onto the spool.

After a session or two, repeat the process. It really does help the line sit on the spool.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy Macfarlane:

I've always filled my reel straight off a revolving spool. I know a lot of folk would argue that creates line twist but I've never had any fuss to be quite honest.

I've always done it that way too. It is wound onto the spool that way, so by taking off the same way does not create line twist. However, taking the line off the side of the spool does put a twist into it.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

"Whilst on this topic, what would you say is the best knot to use to tie line to the spool?"

Alan, I find it best not to tie the line on at all, just go over the loose end a couple of times, keep it tight while you close the bail arm, and then wind it on

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Posted Image

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Alan Stubbs:

Whilst on this topic, what would you say is the best knot to use to tie line to the spool?

Personally I tie a figure of eight knot in the end of the line and trim the tail off with a pair of scissors. Then I just tie a normal granny knot around the spool and pull on it so that it slips until the knot on the end of the line reaches it. Once that happens the line is secure and if you pull it tight enough, the line won't slip on the spool either.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.