loading reel line

rob.i

"Vauxhall Vitara " Hmmm your knowledge of cars is obviously as sound as your knowledge of fishing lines! :P Welcome to AN though!

Steve,yes strictly speaking braid does twist,the flatter profile braids seem to make this more apparent,but the real point is that the twisting doesnt really affect it,unlike the nightmare it causes in mono.

[ 22. December 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUDGIE:

Steve,yes strictly speaking braid does twist,the flatter profile braids seem to make this more apparent,but the real point is that the twisting doesnt really affect it,unlike the nightmare it causes in mono.

It does when you use spinners and spoons a lot! The result is little tangles (easy to put right) but shorter casts as the tangles get momentarily stuck in the rod rings. And of course it's cumulative, hence the first cast on my next trip being with a Spin Doctor to take this twist out.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

20lb Power Pro. Forgot the Spin Doctor today and had a nasty tangle that took several minutes to sort out! :rolleyes:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Wasn't going to join in Steve in case it looked like we were ganging up on you at Christmas :D but I'm using 10lb Spiderwire and 10/20/30/50lb Power Pro and not experiencing your problem, not noticeably anyway. Does this happen with any particular spoon or spinner and what kind of swivel arrangement do you use ?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

It's my fault as I'm targetting perch more at the moment and so using a lot of spinners. However, I've been experimenting to see if 40lb wire traces put the perch off. Mine have standard swivels on, whereas my 15lb traces have ball-bearing ones.

The answer of course is to minimise the twist in the first place. So a cast or two with the Spin Doctor to take out the existing twists, followed by a change to ball-bearing swivels should soon sort it out.

The point I was making was that braid does indeed twist in the same way as nylon, and can be a minor problem with a fixed spool reel. And when it does twist, boy, is it a pain to untangle!

The only time I experienced noticeable problems was when I used a cheaper brand of swivel which obviously wasn't turning. I now exclusively use the DL Power swivels. Very smooth and good range of sizes. On the perch 'trace' front I'm trying a few wire alternatives to fluoro, largely to see if it makes a difference. Best so far is the nylon coated Drennan green stuff (12lb bs) although until I can get back onto the river and locate a shoal of big fish an see how they react, its difficult to tell.

Nice neat wire tho'

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'