Roll call for this weekend at LA

Davy Holt

Norrie.

Went into the office this afternoon to do my only shift this week. "What are you doing back?", was the general enquiry.

They`d only got 3 extra people in my office to cover for me.

I just went back home and said I`d see them next week.

See you Friday in the Mayflower.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Ok proof that Norrie (aka Deputy Dawg) was not drinking at the weekend:

Posted Image

Proof that jaybee caught a Spurdog:

Posted Image

and proof that the slanderous comment made by Spasor is true :P

Posted Image

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

here Norrie.. Orca just found yer twin brother :)

Posted Image

[ 01. June 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Norrie, Paul and I arrived in Lochaline on Friday night. We drove down to the campsite to see Dave and Norma and spent a pleasant half an hour chatting over a drink. We then repaired to the bar of the Lochaline Hotel and settled in, looking forward to the weekend. Davy and Linda joined us soon after and conversation turned to the fishing prospects. The forecast did not look good for the next day and rain was anticipated for most of the weekend, but we would be able to get out into the Loch the next day at least and have a go for some Thornbacks. Davy and Linda headed back to the caravan and soon after, Dave and Norma returned to the campsite and Norrie went to bed, suffering the effects of a dodgy sandwich he’d eaten on the way up. I left Paul in the bar around 12.30 and have no independent witnesses to what time he left.

The following morning, we made our way down to the pier to meet Davy on board the Catchalot. Dave was already there waiting for us so we quickly loaded our gear aboard and cast off. The weather was not the best – raining and a little windy but Davy said we could get out into the sound and fish some sheltered marks.

First task was to find some Mackerel for bait. After a while we found some – they were compressed into a tight ball just off the bottom. Davy showed me them on the fishfinder – the shoal could have been no more than a couple of yards across but there were clearly a lot of fish in there. As the fish were so tight, we only got one drop per drift, but by leaving the feathers down after the first fish struck, the rest of the string soon filled up so we soon had plenty of bait.

We now anchored up and set up the Skate rods. Knowing that I also wanted a Spurdog this trip, Davy made up a trace, which I sent down on a 20lb outfit. After a little while had passed, I felt a savage bite and after a short fight, landed my first ever Spurdog.

After a trip back into Lochaline for an early dinner, we set out into the sound again to anchor up for Skate for a few hours, but none were caught.

Back in the Hotel, I had a couple of drinks and headed to bed – I’m not a big drinker, especially if I’m out fishing the next day. Norrie and Paul, who are, especially if they’re out fishing the next day, stayed in the bar well into the following morning.

Sunday morning and no sign of Paul and Norrie, despite banging repeatedly on their door. I had breakfast and headed down to meet Davy and Dave. Norrie and Paul showed up looking fresher than they deserved to and after grabbing a couple of bacon rolls from the snack bar, having missed their breakfast we headed back out into the sound.

The weather had cleared nicely and it was a beautiful sunny day (well done forecast). Once anchored up, large double mackerel baits were set up on the skate rods and sent to the bottom, 350 feet down. After a couple of hours, we had a bite on Dave’s rod. Dave donned his but pad and shoulder harness, clipped onto the rod and wound into a fish that put a satisfying bend into his 50-130 Tuna Stick. I grabbed my camera and prepared to snatch a few pics of the first Common Skate I had seen in the flesh.

We now had a bite on Norrie’s rod and as I was the newby aboard, It was my fish. Butt pad and kidney harness on, Davy passed me the rod which I settled nervously into the pad and clipped on. I tightened the drag and reeled up the slack line, connecting with my first Skate.

Dave and I were both now playing fish, although Dave’s was off the bottom (to which mine was still clinging).

Posted Image

Soon after, Dave’s fish came to the surface about fifty yards downtide of us and he quickly brought it to the boat where it was expertly gaffed and pulled aboard by Davy. Davy turned to me and said, “this is what’s on the end of your line John”. Dave’s fish measured out at 145lb – smaller than he has caught before but still the largest fish I had seen in the flesh up to then.

After a while, my fish was on the move, coming straight up below the boat. After a couple of dives, about which I could do nothing, the fish surfaced and was brought aboard. Davy measured the female fish and after referring to the charts, Norrie announced the weight as 120lb. My first Common Skate and easily the largest fish I have landed. Although not a big fish by the standards of everyone else aboard, it was my first, so Norrie grabbed the camera and took the photos. I’m still wearing that smile by the way.

Posted Image

Later in the afternoon, with no more bites, we headed off to try another mark. Davy said we would also try for a black mouthed dogfish. We reached the mark, and set up strings of baited feathers. I asked Davy how deep we were to which he replied “620 feet”. “Bloody hell”, I thought, “I’m not sure I’ve got enough braid on the reel for that. Sure enough, I hit the bottom with only half a dozen turns of braid remaining and as the drift progressed, I was soon feeding backing off the reel in order stay in touch with the bottom. After a couple of missed/false bites on my rod, LSDs falling to other rods on board, Davy called for the lines to be brought up so we could head off to Anchor up on another skate mark. As I wound up, I could feel a little extra resistance and when my trace eventually came to the surface, Norrie shouted “Black Mouthed Doggie”. Sure enough, on the top hook was a small Black Mouthed Dogfish – a stunning looking fish to which the picture doesn’t do justice. This rounded off a fantastic day – two new species (three including the Spurdog from Saturday) and my first Common Skate.

Posted Image

We anchored up but no more Skate were caught, although I had another Spurdog, which I was lucky to land on baited feathers, the fish being hooked cleanly in the scissors, well away from the light hook length.

Paul landed a Three Bearded Rockling, which, to my initial bemusement, caused some excitement. Turns out it was a new species for Paul and a new species for the boat. Davy grabbed the fish for a photo and returned it before Paul could do likewise.

Posted Image

We returned to Lochaline, where Norma was preparing a barbecue at the campsite. I can’t remember enjoying a barbecue quite so much – great company and excellent food. I have to say if you ever get a chance to meet Dave and Norma, you will not be disappointed. You could not find a more pleasant and hospitable couple than them and I could sit and listen to their tales of fishing around the world for more hours than they would be prepared to recount them.

Last day (Monday) was gloriously sunny as we left the pier. Dave and Norma were there to say goodbye before they set off for Stranraer on the next leg of their fishing trip. I’m fishing with them again for a week in July and can’t wait – don’t forget the fly rod Dave, I still want that lesson.

We anchored up in the sound and settled in, hoping for another Skate. Paul also fished a light rod through the day, steadily catching LSDs. Around 1.45 pm, Paul laid his lucky hands on the butt of each rod and announced that the action would begin sometime after 2 o’clock. Sure enough, soon after the hour had passed one of the rods showed a positive bite and Paul settled into the fighting chair and wound into a fish. Norrie stood by in case of problems with the chair. The silly hat Paul is wearing belongs to Norrie by the way!

Posted Image

Once Paul had it off the bottom, he quickly brought it to the surface where it was boated, and as usual, Davy, with the minimum of fuss and as quickly as possible, in order to minimise the stress suffered by the fish, measured, tagged and returned the 146lb Skate.

Norrie’s turn next as he connected with what appeared to be a good fish. As he played the fish, it occurred to me that it was my turn again next, so after praying to the gods for another bite, sure enough one appeared which I tightened into once Davy had passed me the rod. Almost immediately, another bite registered on one of the remaining two rods. Paul jumped into the fighting chair, grabbed the rod and the ‘shumfling’ could begin.

Posted Image

After playing his fish for a while, Norrie’s decided not to play ball and threw the hook. I won’t repeat what Norrie said as children may read this. Paul and I appeared to be gaining and losing line in harmony. This was a little confusing, as Davy had never had a fish take two baits together. When it broke the surface, we saw that the fish I was playing had swum across the trace of the other rod, catching the hook of Paul’s rod in the boom on mine. The fish was hooked on my rod though so this was recorded as my second Common Skate – an angry male fish of 107lb.

Rods rebaited, another bite registered and Norrie wound into the fish. This was clearly a good Skate, judging from the bend of the 80lb class rod. After twenty minutes or so, it was off the bottom and surfaced about 100 yards astern of us.

Posted Image

Norrie pumped the Skate to the boat where it was brought aboard and measured at 166lbs – easily the largest fish of a fantastic weekend.

Posted Image

Thanks to everyone there, Norrie and Paul for encouragement, redicule and entertainment in equal measures, Davy, skipper of Catchalot, for his patience, expertise and knowledge which he shares willingly. Also thanks to Norma for the barbecue and Linda and Dave for contributing to a memorable weekend for me.

As the man said, “I’ll be back”.

[ 02. June 2005, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: jabee ]

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

John.

You`ve just been appointed the `Cliques` oficial trip correspondent!! Nice article.

Even though `Mr Unapproachable` held his hands up earlier. It was still nice to see photographic evidence of his dastardly crime!!!!! :P:P

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Paul

got in from work late last night as I went in late.

Sat down to do the write up and before I knew it it was 3.30am - knackered this morning!

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Well done John great reading and good pics.

I will point RobT in the direction of this report to show him how well they turn out with the official photographers input.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist