Outboard

Tancho

HELP!!!! Bought a small fishing boat a couple of months ago to use on Thames, first time out the outboard (Yamaha 5cs) overheated, I think I started it too close to the bank and sucked some s##t up the water intake. I know nought about outboards and where I live there is no-one I can find to repair it, so I was hoping some you sea-fishing lads might be able to give me some advice on stripping it down. I am ok with a car engine but I dont want to start ripping this one apart with no clue. There is very little info on the internet about outboards, unless you can tell me any different!

cheers

Loony.

The coolong water pump is at the bottom of the leg either it could be that is blocked or damaged. When the engine was running was there a tel tail spout coming from just under the engine. It should be a good strong jet that sprays down onto the water?. There are good manuals available from the library. The engine should never be run out of water at all or the pump will be damaged. It is a good idear to change the impeller in the pump if you have not had the engine from new. Either put the bottom of the engine in a tub of water or buy muffs that you connect to a hose pipe to squirt water into the engine. After the engine has been in sea water is is good practice to run it in fresh water.

prp

I ran the engine in a barrel when I first got it, and there was a good flow of water out of the tell-tale pipe. When it broke down on the river I left the motor to cool down then I started it briefly and the tell-tale pipe was dry. How do I find the impeller? I have had a good look and cant see see anything obvious to remove to gain access. Is there likely to be any other damage seeing as the engine overheated?

I havent owned a yam but most are the same, to get at the impeller (a thing that looks like a rubber starfish) you usually have to remove the gear box from the bottom, its easier than it sounds, there are usually 3 or 4 bolts that attach the gear box to the leg, undo them (easier said than done if they are corroded but WD40 or similar often helps, then pull down, the gear box complete with prop will come away usually with the drive shaft and water pipe attached, these are push fit so dont panic! the impeller housing sits on top of the gear box on my merc and is opened with a couple of stainless screws, revealing when removed the impellor! this slides onto the drive shaft. It only costs a few quid. Your big worry is if you have knackered the engine, prob not if you stopped to lwet it cool, if it runs ok after you have got the water flowing again (good idea to flush it with a hose to get any silt out)take it easy for a while to smooth out any scuffs on the pistons. If the engine needs a complete rebuild its prob cheaper to buy another second hand outboard, (sorry!) I was quoted over £60 for the gasket set for mine!

If you want an unbreakable outboard by a seagull, you'll get a good one for under £100 they are noisey and a bit smelly but work for ever. Electric ones arent bad either but you need a good battery. I heard a story of a boat that was slipping its anchor in a blow so slid the seagull on a length of chain down the anchor rope to give some extra weight. In the morning they pulled it up, shook it dry put in fresh petrol and off they went!

Email me if you need more help.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan,

Thanks for the advice, stripped the gear-box out today found the impellor, or what was left of it! Along with the most foul smelling liquid pretending to be gearbox oil and a drive-shaft so solid with s##t that i'm suprised it could turn at all!

Next problem....where to find an impellor in Buckinghamshire! Back to surfing the net.

your lucky to get it apart had it been used in sea water the different metals tend to "weld" together (they form an electrical circuit with seawater and corrode) we sheared 3 bolts getting the head off a johnson and stainless is VERY hard to drill to extract them , to clear a clogged water passageway

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson