Animal Liberation Front

A Norfolk Boy

I just wonder how many members of the ALF are vegetarians and don't ever go tho the shop and buy one of those mythical fish in a box that of coarse didn't suffer at all on the deck of a trawler before it went to mr birdseye...or maybe just brainless thugs jumping on this f@*^ed up rollercoaster they call justice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FearTheHands:

Isn't this posted in the wrong forum ? Surely this should be in the "Non Fishing Chat" section?

Post your political views in there & keep this forum for chat about sea fishing instead

Well dang. Call me thick but I would certainly have thought direct threats to sea fishing & sea fishermen were reasonable for posting to the Sea Fishing section.

And while I grant you that lobsters aren't fish, destruction of their gear as a targeted attack certainly seems pretty close to home.

And while a cited PITA piece shows them being reasonable in language and attitude for a change, this still has potential for negative impact on our sport.

quote:

"We want people to think of the suffering of the fish," said Stephanie Bell, a Seattle resident and PETA's regional animal cruelty caseworker.

[ 21. November 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think it's valid for this forum. You sometimes feel vunerable on your own fishing a lonely beach. Not everyone agrees with putting a hook into a fishes food. You can see their point. ( pun not intended) These extremist groups think they can impose their will on anyone who doesn't agree with their nutty ideas. It was announced today that there will be new laws to protect scientists working on animal experiments. Pity it can't be extended to protect people going about their lawful hobbies, like angling.

I'm afraid it matters not one jot what you or I think. I am a keen fisherman, I also couse hares with my whippets and shoot game, wildfowl and pigeon. Lets get one thing straight those that want to ban "bloodsports" and fishing is one of these do not care if you eat the fish or put it back. You and I put a metal hook through a fishes mouth and drag him out of the sea, lake or river. From there point of view fishing is one of least defenceable sports. It kills and harms far more than any of the others. The only reason it wasn't picked on first was because there wasn't the political ability to. £1.1m was donated to Labour by the PAL (the UK arm of IFAW) in my view a similar donation will be made to see off game shooting. The best any of can hope for is for the CA to get the legislation turned over. The intimidation, provocation etc of antis has to be seen to be believed. They will pick on the young and old and only tackle the large when they out number them. They will use any tactic to show you being cruel to fish and come up with lots of doctored pictures etc. These are people that are proposing owning pets be made illegal as it is animal abuse.

Now you may well read this and say its some toff stirring up trouble, but I'm just a working class guy who has seen all this before his eyes. The only way any of us can survive is to stand up and take the PR fight to them. Hunting's biggest problem was that it was suspicious of outsiders until it was too late. No evidence has been found against hunting, the Scott Henderson report of the 50s found in its favour and so did Lord Burns when you listen to his clarifications. You already have a chap from the Mirror on Richard & Judy saying fishing should be banned. Throw down your differences with the remaining field sports and fight this cause, otherwise divide and conquer will win.

I honestly do not think anglers realise quite how serious this threat is. A number of AN users have come across instances of anti-fishing rhetoric. As I have said, logic does not come into it. As mentioned above, hunting was found not to be cruel so does it really matter if fishing is or isn't cruel? I rather hope our angling bodies and the anglers themselves are not naive enough to think that we will not eventually be targeted.

i think it may be hard to get fishing onto a serious endangered activity list as it's a major commercial industry and food source. Its going to be quite hard to argue that net fishing is more humane and therefore acceptable than line caught fish.

Hiya,

I watched the bit about them on the telly last night, it showed just how far they are willing to go for their cause.. scary stuff :(

Their tactics, within the law are very effective but as usual they can also work against them

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Gonefishing, I can see your perfect logic, but as I said logic does not come into it. If it did they would be targetting the 26 million turkeys that will die this Christmas and the 2 billion or so Chickens that die each year, or of course halal and kosher slaughter. Spin says that this is necessary for food, whereas fishing for sport is not, indeed using their warped minds we prolong the suffering by using light lines and your damned if you kill a fish, damned if you don't. In fact fishing in their eyes is probably the easiest to attack, both with rhetoric and actions, with coarse fishing being the easiest. It is time we all woke up and smelt the coffee