Any electricians here please?

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

The bulb is a 6v krypton, and its just gone out. Its been on since 8 this morning. If you look at the Maplin links above youll see you can get a battery and charger the same as mine for 16 pound. I wired it with an old flex off a radio. any such wire will do it. 12 hours of light for 16 quid. Plus as im sure your aware the batteries can last years. My first 2 batteries lasted 3 to 4 years.

I prefer the mfa lamp though. 2 bulbs means if one goes out youve got a spare without having to carry another headlamp. Im gonna have to find out what is wrong with it, I need it as ill probably be fishing tomorrow night.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Im gonna give it a good clean up macks. Was your light running down fast macky. Strange to think a bit of corrosian would do such a thing. Ill Give it a squirt and a scrub tomorrow. Hows the fishing down there?

Better than here I hope.

Them tiga's sup some juice. I have one for worming. I acquired just the head piece on the cheap. It runs my 4ah battery flat in 50 mins.

Corosion = resistance = heating = power guzzler!

Start with the bulb & work back.

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Just seen the news re as from the 1/1/05 certain electrical work in the house has to be done by certified electrician or approved by building inspectors. What is a certified electrician ? before I came down with M/S and had to retire I was a timed served (apprentice 4yrs) qualified to city and guilds C certificate + ULCA spent 10yrs as a journey man Electrician. I do manage to do most of my own work at home takes a long time to do but I eventually get there. But I am now confused as to being certified. Any one have the answer.

i think certification is that youve handed good money over to some monopoly to go on their list ,no cert no work ,its the power over the workers still fashionable today

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest jay_con

This is right my neighbour is a sparky of some type. He was telling me the other day (when I quizzed him about the light) That he isnt qualified to do his own house wiring.

Winter - I noticed your saying 'any wire will do'.

Something you should be aware of is a major difference between the DC current you get from the battery and the AC current in your house.

AC really does not care much about wire length. It delivers basically the full amount of juice at the end of even very long wire runs unless you've used some really wrong wire and in that case, things probably just melt. But the alternating current flow equates to negligible drop in the amount of power delivered.

DC is a different story altogether. The smaller wire you use and the longer the wire run, the less juice reaches the appliance you are trying to operate even though the battery is putting out (and losing) the same amount.

Shortest possible wire run is good but you get better results by far if you have large wire for the job. Makes an absoutely amazing amount of difference.

Ask anyone who has changed a trolling motor over from 12ga wire to 8ga. They probably managed 50-100% more time on the motor from the same battery.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry Newt the size of wire is not dependant on weather its ac/dc it the amps it has to carry that determins its size. It looks like that when you see the size of the wiring in a house and compare it with the the size of wire say in a head light, but thats down to the voltage. In the house it is 240 volts so a 6watt lamp takes 0.025 amps a 6watt lamp on 6volts takes 1 amp. Cable has a certain resistanc per meter the bigger the cable diameter the smaller that resistace is,this creates whats know as voltage drop a combination of the resistance of the wire and the load (amps) carried. The bigger the load and smaller the voltage and longer the distance carried results in a large diameter cable.

[ 29. November 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: sanctuary ]