Catfish

Norfolkdan

Hi all.

What sort of baits would you use when targeting catfish? I'm going too try a water with cats to 40lb+ averaging 20lb, and carp to 35lb, averaging 19lbs.

No deadbaits allowed. Was thinking leeches (if can get hold of some), luncheon meat, fishy boilies and big halibut pellets?

What sort of rigs and tackle will I need?

cheers, Dan

Dan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boileys are my fav, try some well glugged source boilies, i'v even had a pike take one of these.

Worms are also good, ledger and float fished.

As for rigs, 15lb line, cant remember what i use but most settle for big game, Bolt rigs (saftey of corse)and 25lb snakeskin hooklength, about a size 6 hook.

If you have never caught one before your in for a shock, they make carp seem like a wet sack :o

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Aren't leeches really expensive (like £4 each bait!!) - Saw it on home an leisure....

Suppose if you want to wade around your local canal for an hour or two without waders you might get them cheaper (I'm thinking of a new business line, now all I need is a YTS shop assistant...)

Good Luck with Cats - I've never tried it, but it's definitely a to do (we have a lake 30 miles off with Cats in nr. Scunthorpe).

Ian W

I would use heavier than 25lb snakeskin mate for the cats, everybody i've spoken to has said their pads will wear through coated braid. I would get some Catfish Conversation kevlar hooklength or a hooklength called Quicksilver or Ton Up.

I have only caught one catfish and that was picking up a run for my brother's friend, it was only 5lb but it didn't half fight :)

James

The CCS kevlar stuff is 40lb and up, Quicksilver is perhaps 45lb and ton up I believe is 100lb (don't quote me on that). It is purely because of the ability to wear through hooklengths with their pads that these breaking strains seem so high.

James

What do you think too these tactics? Sorry about poor quality of drawing and pics

Posted Image

You think it's ok? 15lb mainline and 40lb hooklink (probaly)

[ 06. June 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Norfolkdan ]

Dan