520lber caught!

tyurke

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catch and Release is great, but what do you keep and what do you release? Are snapper less valuable than swordfish? I think it is rediculous to fish without a goal for keeping something. I do think it's ignorant to keep more than one sword per trip although.

Ya'll are just getting bent out of shape over a few pictures. Whats the big deal?

Hiya Scott,

Broadbill:

I wanted to clarify a few things because apparently you don't catch swordfish where you live.

We do get Broadbills over here, albeit they are not very common, we have had 3 washed up dead in the Clyde estuary in the last 100 years. That being said there are unsubstantiated claims of some being caught on Rod & line off Scotland's West coast.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

these reels showing figures of 30-38lbs of drag are lying to you... lets be honest! You guys might be bigger than us ( :) ) but you aint that much stronger as far as im aware, and trying to hold onto a rod with even 20lbs of drag for five mins is more than just a little difficult. so tell your reel manufacturers to stop pampering your egos. bear in mind the drag settings may assume a half full spool, but if the spool is almost full then the drag will effectively be less, as the radius of the lever (ie the edge of the line compared to the spindle) will be longer. I dont see how it is justified comparing comercial fish catches as an excuse to kill big game fish. These beasts are true elegant giants of the seas and I would pay more to go on a boat where I know the skipper wont keep the fish, than one where the skip is gonna knock any beautiful thing i catch on the head. We have in scotland a population of common skate which, thanks to tag and release, are providing good fishing for hundreds of anglers season after seaosn. If we acted like some of our us counterparts I am sure that we would not have a stock of fish worth fishing for by now. perhaps more than pure numbers of fish, the most important thing here is attitudes, because that is what rubs off on your children, the commercials, the public and the skippers. If a skipper always has a crew who hate killing fish, he will change his views over time and become an ardent follower of this practice. If that same skipper knows commercials who longline the same species he may, at least to some small degree, convince them to target certain other fish, or be more aware of breeding seasons etc. It is all pasrt of a chain of events that has to start somewhere

I fish here in my back yard Miami Beach, Florida, almost everyday and if not every weekend. I catch and release, but I do catch to take home to feed friends, family and myself. I think you guys need to learn or read a little more to back up your comments. Learn or even catch what we have in our back yards. Its true what my fellow Yanks are saying, commercial fishing in international waters kill so many fish, plus along with the swords, they kill, turtles, sailfish, marlin, etc... and the ones that are kept are only the swords (legal size only), everything else dead or alive is thrown back. So instead of making us the bad guys, go and complain to the international commercial fisherman! Oh p.s. let me know when you do catch something worth talking about?!?!