520lber caught!

tyurke

Hiya,

Given the numbers of Big longliners that are kicking about, it wouldn't take a lot to convert one so the cost wouldn't be that prohibitive if the stock was there to fish.

As for the commercials working in those sort of depth.. yup they are and quite a bit deeper also well off to the west.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah id have to agree with skate on that! if they were ther in any numbers they would of showed up some time!

most palagic species that ar capable of dealing with a variety of temperature and conditions will of been off ar coast at some point!

it dosnt mean its in anyway ideal.

great whites being palagic will of no doubt been about with ar cool climates and seal collonys!

maybe even hung about for a bit!

i think with the species in the photo ther is no reason why one or two wouldnt of persude its quarry up and over to us, but if they have its in no numbers certanly not worth going for!

anyway that was my 2ps worth!

the photo did p*ss me off, but it was from the same forum with a thread about wot is your chosen high powered assult rifle to dispatch your catch! :rolleyes:

it amazes me america is so well populated as alot seem to have masculin issues :D

[ 13. October 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: geffaz ]

Broadbills are taken in some numbers off Portugal - and have been for many years. On the coast around Lisbon they go out for them, fishing at night like the Miami boats are. Over the years the effect of the Gulf Stream and the North Atlantic Drift have been more pronounced and brought warmer water further north.

If it is warm enough for bass to get up to South Uist and beyond then it is warm enough for Broadbills to come up on the current too. Let's face it, Trigger fish are now caught fairly regularly off Wales.....warmer waters?

I can also see where ian is coming from - and with modern sonar gear picking up a fish like that would be easy - but whether it would be identified is another matter. Also the depth issue, most commercials are fisihng the continental shelf and traditionally have been targeting the bottom. However, the Spanish and japanese drifters off the coast of Ireland are the most likely source of an accidental capture and I haven't heard of any reports - have you Leon?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Davy Holt, maybe you didnt see the + after the 15, if you want come here to miami and I will take you out and show you... I will cover for everything, gas, baits, gear, and my boat. All you will have to do is pay for the fish you caught... +/- 4 dollars a pound....

Hiya njoimia,

Yup I did see the +, that's why I put the :P

I'll be over there possibly next year or the following so I might just take you up on that offer if it's still open then, though I would prefer to practice C&R.

I've only seen 1 broadbill before and it was this one below that was found floating dead in Loch Long in the Clyde Estuary on Scotland's West coast roughly 8 years ago. That was the 3 one recorded in this are in the last 100 years

Posted Image

Davy

mmmmmmm nice lol! if a little tangy

Hiya,

Yup Njoimia I do eat the occasional fish, but not very often. Given that most of the species I target are long lived and slow growing they all go back alive

Geffaz.. it was more than a little tangy when I got to see it the day after that photo was taken... you smelt it before you seen it

[ 13. October 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

Been watching this thread evolve all day and I'm finding it very interesting. Again the level of knowledge on here is impressive. Apart from last nights 'fun' I haven't been able to contribute much as being a relative newcomer to the sport I'm still learning. Threads like this speed up that learning process no end and prove to me that I was right to join up.

The forum can be a lot of fun at times but through reading what you guys post and hearing your experiences I am learning a lot about the sport :)

Sorry.

I`m not against angling for fish that size. Even if you want to kill it and put it in your neighbourhoods freezer.

But I suspect the pic` was taken, just for a `trophy` shot? :mad:

I can`t blame the `winder-in` of the fish. He`s just a numbskull that followed orders.

Maybe the skipper of the boat has a mate at the local fish market?

May your tackle diminish. demon

We don`t use J`s anymore!!