520lber caught!

tyurke

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales:

They both fall into the billfish category, but the swordfish is also a distant cousin to sharks as well.

Swordfish is a member of the class osteichthyes (bony fish) while sharks are in the class chondrichthyes (cartilagenous fish) which means they would have to be VERY distant cousins indeed :)

Hey everyone,

Was out of town since Friday, seems everyone has been busy expressing opinions (glad to see everything calmed down a bit). One thing is for sure we all like to fish no matter the species! I guess that makes us all the same. If any of you ever cross the pond you are welcome to come battle a big sword with me. I'll let you put the tag in her while I take a bunch of pictures so you can brag to all your wa@#er buddies when you get home.

-Scott

"Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish you feed him for life".

ColinW:

quote:

Originally posted by BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales:

They both fall into the billfish category, but the swordfish is also a distant cousin to sharks as well.

Swordfish is a member of the class osteichthyes (bony fish) while sharks are in the class chondrichthyes (cartilagenous fish) which means they would have to be VERY distant cousins indeed :)
Hello Colin, thanks for the biology lesson. That is precisely the reason for the use of the word 'distant'. Ever felt the skin of a swordfish? You'd swear it was shark skin... no scales and like coarse sandpaper. As for bone/cartilage, you'd be surprised at just how much of a swordfish is cartilagenous versus bony. Cut through one's head to remove the sword and you'll see that a simple serrated knife goes through the skull tissue like a flat knife through butter, whereas with bone you'd need a meat/hack saw to go through it. Butcher one up some say and you'll see . The last thing is to look at a swordfish steak and compare it to a mako shark steak in both taste and appearance... you can't tell visually nor can you taste the difference!

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

"Butcher one some day" Fat chance I'll ever be able to do that :( I didn't mean to patronise, it wasn't a biology lesson, just a statement of fact.

To me, the similarity to mako shows how animals that spend millions of years adapting to a certain lifestyle end up coming to the same solutions even though they start from completely different roots doesn't it. Ever see a picture of a Tasmanian wolf? It was a marsupial with a pouch like a kangaroo, but it looked for all the world like a dog. Proof of evolution if ever it was needed :)

Mike,

Feel bad for the UK if there Kcrusty acts anything like ours. No offense Kcrusty, ragging on a buddy of ours.

Anyone catch anything worth speaking of this weekend? Carps, skates? What the hell kind of skates are you guys catching? Is it a flat fish like a stingray?

Lets hear some reports.

-Scott

I cought a buzz saturday Scott. I was at home braving the elements, and the Florida game, and I found myself really struggling with my circumstances. So, I bravely exited my game room to my back yard, and my rotten a$$ kids, to meander to the fridge on my back porch

A belated welcome to the forum to you guys from the US from me - enjoying reading this thread from the beginning, aside from all the different views been expressed, its good getting an insight first-hand into the big game fishing you have over there ... and whats all involved! My ex-girlfriends dad has a pretty big power boat down by Siesta Keys ... sadly I never made it down to go fishing with him, he was more of a diver, and was clueless about fishing.

Anyway, when ever I travel over to New York from Scotland for work or a break, I always set time aside for visiting the Farmers Market in Union Square on a Saturday to go and buy some Sword Fish and Mako Shark steaks .... without a doubt my favourite tasting fish to eat, and looks wise and taste wise there is very little difference from what I remember ... amazing on the George Foreman Grill.

One of my friends is fishing in Florida this week, he is doing four days out on a boat - really hope none of you have the pleasure of his company ... he'll make you p*$$ed in no time, a right know it all :D

On the arguement of the killing of fish - well, I come from a part of Scotland traditionaly known for been lovers of fish as food, so much of the fish I catch goes to good use and ends up on the plate providing a nice healthy meal. I release a lot of fish also, such as when I have no use for them, have caught enough of a certain kind, or am just fishing for sport. Way I see it, you guys seem to have your fishing at sustainable levels for these speices (when you think how many charter boats there are fishing out of Florida for years now, and still good numbers of these fish been caught on the rod ... you must be doing something right to keep the stocks healthy) ... and if your catching fish and they are going to a good use at the end of the day I dont have any problem with it.

Anyway, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth on how I feel about it.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com