Ok.. what do you think??

Davy Holt

Hiya,

By now you probably all have seen the latest copy of Sea Angler with the skate on the front.

Well does anyone think it is as big as the 230lb claimed???

Personaly I don't, it is a big fish, around 200lb but there is no way that fish is anywhere near 230lb.

Also the gaffing... why did they use barbed flying gaffs in the fish ??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

and then go on to tell everyone that the fish could live out the water for up to 10 minutes :mad: :mad:

Right now it seems you can go catch a decent skate then claim a ludicrous weight for it and Sea Angler will publish it.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

By now you probably all have seen the latest copy of Sea Angler with the skate on the front.

I won't get my copy for a while but when I do there will be a few flying gaffs directed at sea angler for there gaffs.

Scan me up the offending pages please Davy and sod the copy write laws.

I think you know me as a fairly laid back sort of bloke but when I am angry.........

With your years of experience and involvement with the tagging programme and the Kelvingrove museum I will back you all the way against a glory hunter, possible liar and a magazine that will publish anything for a quid.

Angling Times did a half page on our great trip without even sending a copy of the paper let alone a contribution to the tagging programme :mad:

If what you say if right and I don't doubt YOU for a minute, I will not be renewing my subscription. :mad: :mad: F :mad:

I know a lot of Dutch lads that subscribe to sea Angler and enjoy it WHEN they get it. I also know the editor of the biggest sea angling magazine in Holland and belgium, he will hear about this. :D

Magazines and "star anglers" (money orientated) are doing well out of Skate fishing but how much have they contributed to there conservation or the tagging programe? :mad:

I have just got to get off this for now.

Alan(nl)

Ps if anyone wants to forward this topic to Sea Angler, go ahead, please.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hiya,

Alan.. I've tried to scan it but this bloody PC keeps crashing :mad:

I'll be taking the mag along to the Biodiversity Action Plan meeting on Tuesday, I'm quite sure they will have something to say about it.

On the cover pic the gaff holes (yup that's what they are) are coverd on the right hand wing by Alans hand and by text over the hole on the left hand wing. Inside there is a phot of the skate in the water and you can clearly see the flying gaff in it's wing and the barb protruding through the top of the wing. Also the gaffing is way too far in from the leading edge, the main pic clearly shows the damage that the gaffs have done. :mad: :mad:

They also go on to say that the fish is good for 10 minutes out of the water :mad: :mad:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

I'll be taking the mag along to the Biodiversity Action Plan meeting on Tuesday, I'm quite sure they will have something to say about it.

I HOPE YOU TAKE THE ARTICLE THAT I SENT YOU AS WELL.

I COCKED THAT UP, when you say by Alans hand, please add the surname'

They also go on to say that the fish is good for 10 minutes out of the water :mad: :mad:

Lets see them after 3 minutes UNDER THE WATER :D

This is not over yet.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Indeed it is not Alan!

Aye, flying gaff would explain the rope - cheers Davy - The only question is why?

This is also under discussion at http://www.total-fishing.com/SeaForum.asp?...32B48446&Page=1

and on the IAC list - Does anyone know of any other sites as I think a Mr Angry of Tunbridge Wells coming on.

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

Davy?

I`ve let my subscription to TTS go unrenewed. Sea Angler is next?

At least Sea Angling News is safe? Don`t you dare let me down Norman!! At least it`s cheap and cheerful with no 4-page spreads by `Celebs`.

But then again Alan Yates doesn`t claim any weight for the skate. Isn`t it strange this fish has appeared after all the fuss about the Bay of Clew fishing going down-hill?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hiya, I stopped getting S.A. a couple of years ago and was considering getting it again, but this has done it for me. No sub, ever... :mad: :mad:

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guys,

I can see where your sentiments stem from, but....

By saying that you won't buy a mag again, you're switching off from it.

Even if you chose not to buy the mag, wouldn't a few polite, well informed letters have more effect? Not only would you get your points across, but you'd educate other anglers, too.

I don't know the editorial staff at SA personally, but I'm sure that they're not that arrogant that they think that they know it all. Let them know why the article, in your opinion, was wrong. Work with them, rather than against them, and we'll influence a lot more anglers.

Sorry to sound a bit of a wimp, but I've bit my nose off to spite my face too many times. You have a real opportunity here to make a valid contribution to fish welfare. Keeping quiet isn't going to achieve that goal.

Tight lines,

Elton

[ 22. November 2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Elton ]

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE