ABU 6500 levelwind problems

Grant

Got a bit of a problem with my reel, and wondered if anyone could help?

The levelwind is smooth, but keeps staying on the righthand side of the reel, only moving a cm or so.

I can push it across the whole spool when winding in, so its not stuck there, but it just seems to bob about on one side?

Any suggestions, or back to the shop for a service?

B.A.S.S. member

Grant:

Got a bit of a problem with my reel, and wondered if anyone could help?

The levelwind is smooth, but keeps staying on the righthand side of the reel, only moving a cm or so.

I can push it across the whole spool when winding in, so its not stuck there, but it just seems to bob about on one side?

Any suggestions, or back to the shop for a service?

:cool: Probably some wear on the pin that runs on the levelwind. Try stripping it down, cleaning away any sand etc, have a look at the pin for wear, if looks ok, lubricate and re-assemble. If it still sticks get a new pin and fit. :D

Its usually the wormshaft.The wormshaft is a continuous thread,what happens is the points of the thread on the ends get damaged.this allows the pawl to travel the wrong way.Apply a bit of side pressure and it works fine.

Diagnosis :- new worm,new pawl = perfick

Doc's answer seems good. Better solution is to remove the levelwind altogether, less to go wrong! If you're not casting with it then simply remove the bit that goes from side to side and the plastic cog in the sideplate.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com