R.I.P. John Darling

Wordbender

I was lucky enough to both fish and shoot with John. I have just returned from abroad after a wonderful fishing vacation...but it's spoiled now.

I lost touch with him a while ago and meant to make contact again....should have tried harder.

My condolences to his family.

We have lost a good friend and advocate of the sport.

• 2 months later...

Only found out about J.D whilst reading the letters page in Sea Angler this month - missed it in March edition. Being 42 yrs young, I remember avidly looking forward to his articles in sea angler and angling times as a fifteen year old - no other angling writer has ever got close in my opinion. I still have some old articles he wrote, and never tire of reading them. I never knew him, but was lucky enough to meet and speak to him for a few hours before he gave a talk on bass fishing, at the AGM of the B.A.S.S several years back. Meeting your 'hero' is often disappointing, but not with J.D - he exceeded my expectations. His laid back style, quality slides and enormous knowledge of the subject were a dream come true. A room full of the countries leading Bass anglers (not me included), hung on every word - a truly humbling experience. I have joined this site purely to get this off my chest - my condolences to his family and friends - a true great.

Smart - welcome and now that you are here, join in the discussions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Smart,

In all the years I've run this site, I don't think I've ever seen a nicer first post.

Welcome.

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi All,

I too am new in here. Some of you may already know me though.

To be frank, I had never heard of John Darling but but that is my great loss. However, to read so many touching tributes to him, I feel that the fishing world will be at a loss to find another like him.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

"An amatuer built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Best Regards

Cerberus

http://www.walton-sea-angling.co.uk