Is there Tunna up North?

sam-cox

My 87 year old grandfarther phoned my Dad to day, he had seen a report on Torkshoire TV about some very large sports fish being spotted off Scarbough.

He didnt remember what fish they were just that they were very big and that there was lots of them.

Can any one from Scarbough shed any light please?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

must of been one of those big flying skate,lol

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam

Theres been rumours and reported sightings of tuna/tunny (same fish just English or American spelling) off our coastline for about the last 4 years, always in the summer and it looks like there are a few of them following the ever increasing shoals of herring. Most of the reports have come from offshore boats and I'm sure that within a few years we'll be seeing some big 'kippers' within the inshore waters and within range of angling boats

Sam

Theres been rumours and reported sightings of tuna/tunny (same fish just English or American spelling) off our coastline for about the last 4 years, always in the summer and it looks like there are a few of them following the ever increasing shoals of herring. Most of the reports have come from offshore boats and I'm sure that within a few years we'll be seeing some big 'kippers' within the inshore waters and within range of angling boats

Wow! What an opportunity that would be for the first charter skipper to kit his boat out to catch them.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Sam

Like the sound of that, I understand Tuna off Suffolk and Norfolk was the norm in the 30's when there were herring about. I seem to remember seeing some B&W trophy pics??? even seem to recal someone telling me of the Tuna off shore angling trips? Cant remember who or where, or did I dream this?

The UK record for tunny was taken aboard a boat from Scarbrough although Whitby also had a thriving tunny fishery. Although most of the chartered tunny boats were operating from Scarbrough, most of the actual fishing was done off the Whitby coastline and a little further northward.

Some fish were caught inshore in the bay off Skinningrove when they were feeding and chasing herring into the inshore bay area. When the anglers fished for tunny they usually did so off smaller boats (we'd call them dingies) that were either carried or towed by the charter boats

The trouble was in those days that tunny fishing was an expensive business and usually practiced by the well heeled

Alonzo (AKA Laurie to his mates) Mitchell-Henry was the main man in those days and I believe holds the record for Tunny [blue Fin Tuna]

Adrian Mulloy is yer man in Ireland having caught one of 962lbs 2 or 3 years back.

See Adrian's website and also here for some cracking images

Colin