Eating Carp

Fastd

I dont know if anyone else has seen this but on doing the christmas shopping at Morrisons in Darlington I was amazed to see a mirror carp of about 8lb laying on the fishmongers slab!

I have eaten carp but only whilst working abroad in Pakistan and China and it was delicious, but I am still amazed that it has been put on sale here.

It would worry me that this will give the impression to the summer brigade that its ok to knock them on the head to eat.... a policy that your average commercial fishery may just frown on a bit!

Does anyone know if this is a local thing or has anyone else seen them on sale?

If I knew how to set up a poll on this I would :unsure:

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in holland is that normal there can you buy carp bream perch zander roach grascarp at the fishmarket

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

In Sainsburies at Dulwich too this weekend.

I asked the fishmonger 'whats that ?' He said 'that ones Fred and that ones Three Tone' :rolleyes:

Carp is a big eastern europe and jewish delicacy at Xmas so I'm surprised not to see it there sooner. They come from France BTW.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Quite a large Polish contingent in Reading so carp (and roach, bream & pike!!) have featured in local fishmongers' for as long as I can remember - 'think' carp is a bit of a traditional Christmas dish in Poland.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Carp as a dish is a favoured food in Germany at this time of year, its one of their traditional dish's.

They were introduced into this country as a food scource and kept in stew ponds until they were big enough to eat, monastaries always had a carp stew pond in their grounds in the guise of self sufficiency so I suppose its no wonder that they appear on the fishmongers table as food fads go round in circles.

They will have been bread on the continent as food for the table and imported especially for the festive period.

With the UK becoming more cosmopolitan year on year I'm sure we'll see more and more coarse fish on the slab ready for the table. I would'nt be at all surprised if some of our UK fish farmers were'nt already negotiating to supply the supermarkets with a range of coarse fish

What does it taste like?

Saw that Hugh Fearnley-Doodah bloke serve up a grass(?) carp at a dinner party on TV, but he'd kept it in running stream water for some days to sort out the dodgy flavour of lake carp.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

A mate of mine went to bolton market the other week and could'nt belive his eyes, he reckons there were specimine carp,roach, bream and perch on all the fishmongers stalls. Dont know if they were farmed for the purpose or what.

Tigger.

Did you know?

During the Second World war, Windermere 'perchines' (canned perch) were produced as a substitute for sardines.

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/windermere..._lake/page4.php

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Looks like this sort of plate is becoming 'trendy' again.

Just spent a while surfing the net for advice on roasting a joint of wild boar, " Knew I should have asked the guy in the butchers!" A few of the sites I found offerred 'traditional' recipes for carp, bream, pike and tench.

It'll be interesting to see how this developes but have to agree that with more eastern europeans living amongst us this sort of recipe will become more popular.

Edited by Comus