Petition to save coastguard stations

seafoods

This the one. :)

allstations.png

Yep that looks like technical creep to me, we'll have to wait and see if it works.

Seafoods

to answer a very much earlier post.

By installing the soft ware from the PC on my boat I could instigate an effective grid search any where in the world from my home PC.

I think that sir Allen whatshisname must be the worst PR man ever.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seafoods

to answer a very much earlier post.

By installing the soft ware from the PC on my boat I could instigate an effective grid search any where in the world from my home PC.

So you would know local place names for all over the UK, which units were available for you to task, local tidal patterns and vagaries all from the software you have on the boat?

So you would know local place names for all over the UK, which units were available for you to task, local tidal patterns and vagaries all from the software you have on the boat?

Seafood i have got to say this i cant belive wurzel as a fisherman is condoning the cutting of the coastguard he must be the only fisherman in the uk who backs it every single person who is involved in commercial fisherman and chartering i know say its putting peoples lifes at risk you cant beat local knowledge we all have plotters i have 4 on my boat some cost a lot more than others anybody can grid search that aint rocket sceince the rnli do it everyday those guys are against the coastgurd cuts but stay neutral on issue they have to be independant but beleive it isnt what i have been told i know most of the lads on crew here personally.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Seafood i have got to say this i cant belive wurzel as a fisherman is condoning the cutting of the coastguard he must be the only fisherman in the uk who backs it every single person who is involved in commercial fisherman and chartering i know say its putting peoples lifes at risk you cant beat local knowledge we all have plotters i have 4 on my boat some cost a lot more than others anybody can grid search that aint rocket sceince the rnli do it everyday those guys are against the coastgurd cuts but stay neutral on issue they have to be independant but beleive it isnt what i have been told i know most of the lads on crew here personally.

paul.

Hello Paul

I'm not sure condoning is the right term, I'm a realist and with advances in technology think it's inevitable.

The local knowledge issue does not hold a lot of water with me simply from experience of listening to many distress calls over the years, with the present system you try shouting a garbled message only stating some obscure local name and see what response you get .

I fish to live and live to fish.

Question for Seafoods

You have in the past twenty four hours stated on WSF that you and your team are considering resigning on mass will that not put lives at risk?

:angry:

Check this forum and you will see in post 149 that I stated on here that many of us as not sure if we wish to remain in the service to explain to bereaved mums and widows why it took us so long to respond - after Massey's proposals make it inevitable.

I find it laughable that you have the gall to post 'angry' at the end of your question, you have spent ages supporting the changes that make this inevitable.

Let me ask you a question Bob, have you every been involved in SAR as a volunteer?

Myself and my team joined the coastguard in order to help people - in particular, members of our community. Over the years we have managed to do that on many occasions - there have also been occasions when we have been unable to do so. Some years back we recovered the body of a close friend the day after his small boat sank - we searched until stood down the first night and were out before dawn the next morning. When dawn broke we found him, recovered him then went back to our station - five doors away from his house. Do you honestly believe I could have sat on his couch and looked his wife in the eyes if I believed delays in our response could have contributed to his death? Our village has 300 residents, neighbouring towns and villages are not big - everyone knows everyone else. Myself and my team are not sure if we wish to be part of something which, because of Massey's proposals WILL cause delays which WILL cost lives - then WE are expected to face people and try to explain what took us so long.

The short answer to your question is yes, I do feel it would put lives at risk - but you are the guy who thinks local knowledge is not important, so I'm quite sure you'll agree that they will be able to replace us, IF we decide to go down that road.

Check this forum and you will see in post 149 that I stated on here that many of us as not sure if we wish to remain in the service to explain to bereaved mums and widows why it took us so long to respond - after Massey's proposals make it inevitable.

I find it laughable that you have the gall to post 'angry' at the end of your question, you have spent ages supporting the changes that make this inevitable.

Let me ask you a question Bob, have you every been involved in SAR as a volunteer?

Myself and my team joined the coastguard in order to help people - in particular, members of our community. Over the years we have managed to do that on many occasions - there have also been occasions when we have been unable to do so. Some years back we recovered the body of a close friend the day after his small boat sank - we searched until stood down the first night and were out before dawn the next morning. When dawn broke we found him, recovered him then went back to our station - five doors away from his house. Do you honestly believe I could have sat on his couch and looked his wife in the eyes if I believed delays in our response could have contributed to his death? Our village has 300 residents, neighbouring towns and villages are not big - everyone knows everyone else. Myself and my team are not sure if we wish to be part of something which, because of Massey's proposals WILL cause delays which WILL cost lives - then WE are expected to face people and try to explain what took us so long.

The short answer to your question is yes, I do feel it would put lives at risk - but you are the guy who thinks local knowledge is not important, so I'm quite sure you'll agree that they will be able to replace us, IF we decide to go down that road.

Don’t go saying I do not recognise the value of local knowledge when I have been at odds to say how I believe that can and will be incorporated in these plans. The fact that you have made it seem an imposable task is the sad truth, just as you say the top man has said delays may happen you forgot to mention that he also said that delays happen with the current system.

Look I don’t know for sure that this idea will work but as even Davey has said it looks to have benefits and while we are short of an alternative and standing still is not an option what are the powers at be to do.

You also asked if I have been involved in SAR, no, but I have been involved with the recovery of a body here in Cornwall which was some 30 odd years ago, none the less the sight will remain with me until I die.

TL Bob

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Question for Seafoods

You have in the past twenty four hours stated on WSF that you and your team are considering resigning on mass will that not put lives at risk?

:angry:

Ha ha ha, that old chestnut. You've sunk to new depths with that one, Robert.

I think you'll find that the people who are in the business of saving lives don't want to end up pulling stiffs about instead, just so some spineless politician can save a few pennies. Just going through the motions, trying to make it look like a crap strategy is working, just doesn't sit well. But you wouldn't understand that, would you?

That question is typical of the sort of thing a below average intelligence ignoramus would ask.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Ha ha ha, that old chestnut. You've sunk to new depths with that one, Robert.

I think you'll find that the people who are in the business of saving lives don't want to end up pulling stiffs about instead, just so some spineless politician can save a few pennies. Just going through the motions, trying to make it look like a crap strategy is working, just doesn't sit well. But you wouldn't understand that, would you?

That question is typical of the sort of thing a below average intelligence ignoramus would ask.

Steve

Let me be quite clear about this I have every respect and admiration for those that enter any of our emergency services.

That respect for me and the vast majority will decrease when those services are used as a political or industrial weapon.

If I'm an ignoramus how do you explain that the likes of Wurzel and even Sandtiger can see the possible benefits of these changes?

I couldn’t care less if this saves money or not the MCA requires change, they know it, I know it and if you were for one moment truthful then you would admit it too.

Seafoods has suggested that an alternative has been put forward, well I'm open minded enough to have a look at it, are you?

TL Bob

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg