Killing fish

Sportsman

Andy

Some research in America on post hooking survival rates in Northern Pike showed that they seem to survive catch and release rather well. The thing that was most likely to result in death was deep hooking, way in front of bad handling or even time out of water. They found that one of the biggest killers was small trebles as they had a tendency to be swallowed further. Large trebles were found to be better for the pike and lure fishing was best of all as the pike didn't get chance to swallow the bait.

years ago i watched Andy Macfarlane dealing with a pike he had caught fair and square in the mouth. he discovered someone elses deep hooked deadbait trace. couldnt tell how long it had been deep hooked for but it could have been a long time, weeks perhaps?. it obviously survived the initial deep hooking and felt the need to eat as it took Andys bait.

deep hook was dealt with and the fish swam off. so again i dont think anyone can really say 1 way or the other if a fish is destined to die so i think its fair to say nobody here is right or wrong.

thats not to say i wouldnt consider putting a fish out of its misery if i were so concerned.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read through this topic.

Over the years I've done both, killed or returned. It was a judgement I made at the time after considering the circumstances, and the state of the fish. There is no wrong or right, it's down to the angler to make that judgement, at that time. It's not down to others, (who weren't there), to judge.

We all have different levels of skill, and experience, and we can only make a descision based on that. A few years later, (with more experience), we might make different descision, but it doesn't make the original action wrong.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm of the opinion that it's your duty to do what you can to save a fish, whether you caught it, found it, saw someone struggling with it and you only dispatch said fish once all avenues have been explored.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Just a couple of observations.

I dont think most anglers are qualified to make the "will it live or not" decision,

Secondly I see lots of references to "stopping suffering" "putting out of misery" so how do we know they are in misery/suffering? after all dont us anglers constantly salve our own guilt by saying "fish dont feel pain"? And surely "misery" is a human emotion?

Seems to me we bend the rules/interpretations to suit our own individual needs!....and If I as a lifetime angler can see and admit this I worry that Joe Public can as well! Were selfish sods us anglers and should really start to face up to that fact and be truthful about our real motivations!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!