Guernsey Bass Management Meeting

guernseybass

For the first time, Guernsey Anglers, Commercial fisherman, Sea Fisheries Dept and Government Members met to air their views on the management of Guernsey and related areas bass fishing.

We were also 'treated' to a 20 min presentation by former ICES and CEFAS scientist Dr Mike Pawson, who stated :

1. the BMP is intended to favour anglers

2. and is nothing to do with conservation but is about financial benefits for the Govt.

3. Regardless of what the anglers say, stocks are increasing and we have a sustainable fishery in the UK.

4. the larger number of smaller fish caught by anglers is due to their success, they are more voracious than larger fish and so take your bait/fly first.

5. no other stakeholders have been invited to contribute to the BMP

6. The renewal of the irish ban was political not conservation based - and their scientists are part timers !

Following his presentation, I couldn't hold back and stood up and spoke at length, contradicting him also at length.

I also questioned his measurement of the increasing spawning bio-mass through recorded landings, stating that surely more landings could mean more efficent netting through GPS etc, and wouldn't it be better just to sample regularly. He did not answer that and said instead that it has no track record and would not be useful. I asked why don't we start one ? - silence. next question.

so there you, go, that's what we're up against, so please please don't underestimate the opposition out there, and make the effort to take part in the UK BMP consultation. details of which can be found on www.ukbass.com

NB - We will be contacting the Govt here to formally record our objectiosn to Dr Pawson as an 'independant expert' and suggesting that they speak to independant marine biologists etc.

Mark.

ps - unlike the Sea Fisheries Officers and the Politicians etc, he shyed away from shaking my hand at the end.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mark, sounds like you did not like the truth. Mike Pawson has studied bass for at least 35 years that I know off.

I supose you will demand a scientist that will agree with you.

Just one point of fact for you,

"stating that surely more landings could mean more efficent netting through GPS etc,"

Before GPS we had DECCA which was just as accurate, my bass fishing methods have not changed in the last 25 years and I don't know of any bodys that have.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Perhaps asking yourministers to look at the system that the Isle of Man has recently introduced will give them somethgn to think upon. They should contact their colleagues in the Tynwald.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hello Mark, sounds like you did not like the truth. Mike Pawson has studied bass for at least 35 years that I know off.

I supose you will demand a scientist that will agree with you.

Just one point of fact for you,

"stating that surely more landings could mean more efficent netting through GPS etc,"

Before GPS we had DECCA which was just as accurate, my bass fishing methods have not changed in the last 25 years and I don't know of any bodys that have.

well several of the commercials murmured agreement about better more efficient methods, and a couple told me so afterwards - so maybe you're not very representative of bass fisherman. i have to say i thought they were quite intelligent, so possibly thats true.

and what i like or don't like doesn't matter, its getting realistic data that counts and Dr Pawsons methods have been criticised by the Irish, the French and independant UK scientists. Hence the reason he is now an ex-DEFRA advisor i suspect ;)

funny how the only people who say theres not a problem have a financial interest in it huh ?

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Mark,

Am I to take it that Dr Pawson did not deny that an increase in MLS to 45cm would result in more and bigger bass?

If Dr Pawson is correct in his assertion that the proposals are all about a greater economic return from the resource, then it might have been a good idea if an expert in social economics were at the event and even better someone with direct experience of managing a recreational fishery.

andyR

IF Dr Pawson says :-

1. the BMP is intended to favour anglers

2. and is nothing to do with conservation but is about financial benefits for the Govt.

3. Regardless of what the anglers say, stocks are increasing and we have a sustainable fishery in the UK.

4. the larger number of smaller fish caught by anglers is due to their success, they are more voracious than larger fish and so take your bait/fly first.

5. no other stakeholders have been invited to contribute to the BMP

6. The renewal of the irish ban was political not conservation based - and their scientists are part timers !

Then I for one would rather hear someone answer the points, rather than start making personal attacks on his reputation and insinuations about his career. I've previously seen this done on these forums, to other respected scientists, like Dr Alastair McVicar and Paul Tett (in regard to the salmon farming issue), and hope the BMP supporters are not going to take the same route as soon as they hear something that does not suit them.

I can't be the only one that gets turned off listening when people attack the person rather than the content of what they are saying.

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

IF Dr Pawson says :-

Then I for one would rather hear someone answer the points, rather than start making personal attacks on his reputation and insinuations about his career. I've previously seen this done on these forums, to other respected scientists, like Dr Alastair McVicar and Paul Tett (in regard to the salmon farming issue), and hope the BMP supporters are not going to take the same route as soon as they hear something that does not suit them.

I can't be the only one that gets turned off listening when people attack the person rather than the content of what they are saying.

Chris.

*nods in agreement* We need proper honest debate and good solid facts.