Trudex line guard

Christian T

Hello everyone, after a bit of advice regarding the line guard on my pin.

I can see it has it's uses for preventing tangles although remember reading somewhere they're not ideal when catching big fish. Until the other day I had had nothing testing. Although on floating crust I managed a river carp of about 13/14lbs which gave me a serious run around on the 6 lb line. I'd been meaning to note how the line guard affected the fight but any observation and composure went straight out the window. I guess it has the potential to stop the line coming cleanly off the spool?

What are peoples preferences and why?

Edited by Christian T

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

Never needed a line guard, because I'm one of those who do it 'wrong' and have the line coming from the top of the spool. I also have an extra guide on the butt section, closer to the reel. This reduces/stops and line pulling back round the reel and tangling.

I like to be different. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I don't think a line guard does much when the line is taut and either being pulled off or retrieved during the playing of a fish, with or without you won't notice any difference. None of my reels have them and the only time I've wanted one is when trotting on a really windy day, tangles have happened but it's probably been my fault for letting the reel overrun. Some people think that line guards prevent wallis casting but others can cast ok with them.

They add weight and the times I'd find them useful are few and far between so they're not for me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I guess it has the potential to stop the line coming cleanly off the spool?

What are peoples preferences and why?

The line should pass through a line guard without any interference, especially with a fish on the end.

I wanted to try a line guard and so I made one and fitted it - I soon took it off again and don't use them on any of my pins, just don't like them.

I have a couple of reels with detachable bickerdyke line guards and one old reel with a full cage drum. The bickerdyke lineguard is good in windy conditions as it deoes help prevent the line being blown about and it doesn't inhibit the wallise cast too much.

As ayjay says the line shouldn't touch the line guard and make no fifference when playing any size of fish.

On windy days I often use a reel with a bickerdyke lineguard. Incidently, the Trudex has a bickerdyke guard which is easily removed with the two little screws.

Edited by Tigger

If you are wallis casting with big floats in a fast current you will never need a line guard. However if your trotting light stick floats in low flow conditions a line guard combined with the loop cast does prevent the line going round the back of the reel foot.

Err, that's not quite right and the winds direction plays a big part. If your casting across the flow the speed of the water makes no difference at all in windy conditions and the line still gets blown about a bit.

I often fish really fast glides and even when trotting off the rod tip and stood mid river the slightest bit of loose line does get blown round the reel foot on occassion, no matter how much attension you pay to your set up.

I rarely use a line guard but they do definatly help to prevent the line from blowing behind the reel foot.

Yes tigger i agree wind is always a problem with centrepins.But the type of conditions i am discussing is very low flow when you literally have to feed line of the pin with the left hand if you have no guard fitted it finds itself around the foot. At least it does for me that is