Richard Seager/ Sea Angler Magazine

sam-cox

Rich coming from a man who whinged like hell because sea angler printed a picture of a skate that was gaffed by a method he didn't approve of.

If a charter skipper took parties out to catch common skate so that he could sell them at the fish market, and if the angling mags printed photos of common skate that had been caught, killed and sold on the market, that would be alright would it? Come on, give an honest answer. Would you have anything to say about it or not?

I wish I had put money on the bet I just made that "someone" would come in and change the subject to Skate just for the sake of an argument, as usual comparing apples to pears, bad fish handling should always be condemned. As for the "whinging" bit then I suppose if that's what you want to call what Davy does re the Skate and then thats no different to what your doing re the Bass then don't whine when the word comes back to haunt you.

And in answer to your question Sharkbyte NEVER, has a penny or a favour been taken for fish by Davy, given them away yes, eaten them yes. The restaurant at Lochaline was given some fish last year, as they had run out and a meal was offered in exchange but was not taken up on.Although this may be hard for you to swallow but Davy does not work that way. Is this going to go back on topic now please

Edited by Orca
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the "whinging" bit then I suppose if that's what you want to call what Davy does re the Skate and then thats no different to what your doing re the Bass then don't whine when the word comes back to haunt you.

Oh dear, and just after I'd given an answer to the sensible post you made previously. :(

As for what you've just written, go back and read this thread from the beginning, then tell me whether you've got the above round the right way. Yes, I'm passionate about bass. I admit it, so why can't I compare my passion for bass with Davys passion for skate? I thought he might actually understand it if I put it into simple terms like comparing the two.

Who's looking for an argument?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I also know a number of sport fisherman who have been on a Charter and sold their excess catch (to a chinese take away) to subsidise their sport. Life unfortunately isnt black and white!

Unfortunately Dan that does in no way tally with my idea of a sport fisherman. :(

Oh dear, and just after I'd given an answer to the sensible post you made previously. :(

As for what you've just written, go back and read this thread from the beginning, then tell me whether you've got the above round the right way. Yes, I'm passionate about bass. I admit it, so why can't I compare my passion for bass with Davys passion for skate? I thought he might actually understand it if I put it into simple terms like comparing the two.

Who's looking for an argument?

Thats what I was meaning Steve if you call what Davy did whinging then thats what you must be doing, I personally believe that you two are very alike in your passion and that ends end up with an argument which I believe the start of the statement was tying to do. I was comparing the gaffing of the skate to the sale of the fish as apple and pears nothing else, believe you me Davy does not need things simplified for him, B) shite now I'll have Davy saying "what did you do that for women, I can answer myself , thats it when he comes back in with the dogs I'm hiding :lol:

Thats what I was meaning Steve if you call what Davy did whinging then thats what you must be doing, I personally believe that you two are very alike in your passion

Yep, I agree 100%. I was whinging. I can't see anything wrong in whinging about something you don't agree with. I also know and appreciate how passionate Davy is about skate, that why I made the reference to them. I also know that Davy would most definately have something to say if the scenario I wrote about actually happened. You wouldn't ever find me knocking him for it though.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

and believe me Steve I am not knocking you, it just seems that you two are like red rags to bulls and keep trying to bait each other :P

In essense you will not find a single reader of a fishing mag or internet forum whos catches have not been seriously been depleted by commercial fishermen filling their boots when times are good.

Now explain why any one of them should be allowed to advertise their catches prior to being offloaded at the fish merchants and in the process attracting free publicity exposed to those same long suffering anglers just in time for when the charter bookings start to pick up?

It is very common on the South Coast, particularly in places like Hayling Island/Langstone, Southampton, Lymington, Poole and I believe Weymouth, for there to be a strict boat rule that all double figure Bass are only kept long enough for a quick photo aboard before being returned alive. I saw fish 3 fish last year between 10lb and 13lb caught in the space of two or three weeks, returned succesfully. The largest was a bit touch and go for a while and looked as if it might not go back, but the skipper spent a good period of time tending the fish, until it was able to swim away. In the same way that Davy promotes the handling of Skate in a careful and efficient manner that has proved to be beneficial when returning them after capture, It would be nice to see more boats in the UK and Channel islands adopting a similar approach to large Bass. Although I pay little attention to the angling mags these days, I would prefer to know that pictures of fish caught on rod and line, which end up being sold for the commercial gain of the skipper were not being accepted for publication!

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."