Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

Nice to hear of mullet being caught :) Never seen them at Drummore yet. Should not be long though. Want to catch a few on the fly gear this year :)

Posted a few "bread flies" to some of you lot earlier this year. Do not forget to post in the results. Phil Dean tried them in the Med and was getting mullet on them a few month ago :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Leon reported . . fished Sun Pier on Saturday afternon/evening's tide.

On leaving home at 2pm the temp was 20C, On arrival at Chatham it was 13C. A strong breeze was blowing upstream making it very, very chilly. Water was warm to the hand and a check showed 10C.

One knock. Sign's of a few lip marks on the mud, lot's a algae to keep them intrested once they arrive in numbers.

I'll leave it another couple of weeks and try again.

Edited by Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd

I had family commitments over the weekend and didn't get out. I have had 2 fish in 5 visits now but want to get my average up this year! There is literally thousands of fish in the harbour now and they all seem alot bigger than last year as well.

Although I blanked on my last visit I did speak to an interesting guy who was from Wales and said that he knew the chap who caught the record mullet in Wales. He said it was a bit of a con really because the fish had been land loched and were almost farmed to those great sizes by the locals who feed them up daily. When the fish were caught they just waited until the fish wore itself out by going round and round in circles and then often foul hook it with another rod to help get the fish in! He said all the fish eventually died due to the fact that the mullet couldn't stand the bitter winters in the fresh water. He commented that it was a one off phenoneum that would probably never be duplicated again.

Surely a mullet caught in fresh water wouldn't count as a saltwater fish record? Would it? Sounds like the record would be hard to beat given the artifical conditions that these fish were allowed to grow in.

Apparently the record was being broken almost every week when these fish were present. Surely this record should never have been passed as genuine.

Although I blanked on my last visit I did speak to an interesting guy who was from Wales and said that he knew the chap who caught the record mullet in Wales. He said it was a bit of a con really because the fish had been land loched and were almost farmed to those great sizes by the locals who feed them up daily. When the fish were caught they just waited until the fish wore itself out by going round and round in circles and then often foul hook it with another rod to help get the fish in! He said all the fish eventually died due to the fact that the mullet couldn't stand the bitter winters in the fresh water. He commented that it was a one off phenoneum that would probably never be duplicated again.

Surely a mullet caught in fresh water wouldn't count as a saltwater fish record? Would it? Sounds like the record would be hard to beat given the artifical conditions that these fish were allowed to grow in.

Apparently the record was being broken almost every week when these fish were present. Surely this record should never have been passed as genuine.

Now what makes me think a Welshman was taking great delight in winding up an English man. ;):D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

No wind up Ken.

If I remember rightly it was a mullet from Aberthaw power station reservoir of over 14lb :blink:

IMO should not be counted as its a land locked water.

The 11-14 mullet caught here donkeys years ago should be the record.

The 11-14 mullet caught here donkeys years ago should be the record.

That one was jigged!

There are bigger Mullet in the Fleet than anybody has caught on rod and line anywhere.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Just beeen down to the marina and watched the tide. No signs of any yet :(

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Juat taken mullet number 3 tonight! The best so far 3lb 10z. Fished all night on a float with no luck saw a few mullet taking off the top and quickly swapped to a controller. Got slammed as soon as the bread hit the water! Missed another bite almost immediately after that fish. Wish I had tried it earlier may have had a couplen more.

That guy from Wales is a good friend of Mike Ladle ( a well know mullet & bass angler) . He is in the bass club or something and his story is definately true.

Jim are you sure about the fleet? The only mullet I have caught there are golden greys that average about 3 ozs? Mike Channon tells me there are a few there but I don't think there is many over even 5lb not that Mick has ever had. Kimeridge is the only place better than the harbour around here?