Dry suits

kennosen

No problem. If you don't already own something suitable don't forget to budget for clothing underneath the suit. I don't know the weight/rating of the undersuit which comes with your drysuit but wearing this on its own under the suit may not be enough during winter. Look for high wicking, synthetic clothing like Polartec fleece, Powerstretch, Helly Hansons etc. Although the drysuits are different there are similarities between what diver and kayaker fisherman could wear under their drysuits and if you're interested worth browsing some of the dive forums for ideas....Xerotherm is popular.

I have a few good thin thermal fleeces already from my other 'crazy activities' or so my missus calls em. With regard the feet, with a dry suit can I use my neopreen palm boots as well? is it comfy to use a boot as well or is it rigid sole?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love my Cod fishing Specimen but not sure about this winter Lark. May shock you but would need to get some winter wear. Used to have a volvo with a heated drivers seat , couple of wires from the fishfinder battery should sort that out :yeah:

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

Neoprene palm boots will be ok I used to wear something similar but they may be a bit tight..best to wear shoes or boots one size up. Also the soles on neoprene boots tend to be quite thin... can make things uncomfortable when walking over rough terrain. I now wear a pair of outdoor hiking shoes with a thicker sole.

- heated bum pad could prove useful - could sit on my waistbelt if it comes to it.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I have a few good thin thermal fleeces already from my other 'crazy activities' or so my missus calls em. With regard the feet, with a dry suit can I use my neopreen palm boots as well? is it comfy to use a boot as well or is it rigid sole?

I do with mine kennosen-no they are not rigid sole, sometimes wear jetski boots too,they are more rigid,like speciman says buy a size bigger

you'll need some warm socks too, I've got kevlar lined neoprene ones cost a tenner off e-bay but worth it

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I do with mine kennosen-no they are not rigid sole, sometimes wear jetski boots too,they are more rigid,like speciman says buy a size bigger

you'll need some warm socks too, I've got kevlar lined neoprene ones cost a tenner off e-bay but worth it

if i fish in my floatation suit rated a 50newtons do i need a bouyancy aid aswell? :headhurt:

if i fish in my floatation suit rated a 50newtons do i need a bouyancy aid aswell? :headhurt:

No but you will need rescuing pretty quickly as you will quickly get Hypothermia. they are not immersion proof.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

No but you will need rescuing pretty quickly as you will quickly get Hypothermia. they are not immersion proof.

Thats another point I'd like to elaborate on, if I'm dunked for whatever reason and I'm forced to stay in the water for an extended period of time will the drysuit protect against hypothermia providing I have adequate insulation underneath?

I understand that there will be some initial protection, but are they good for say a few hours. I hope I never have to experience a rescue scenario, but its nice to feel a little more protected if the **** hits the fan.

Thats another point I'd like to elaborate on, if I'm dunked for whatever reason and I'm forced to stay in the water for an extended period of time will the drysuit protect against hypothermia providing I have adequate insulation underneath?

I understand that there will be some initial protection, but are they good for say a few hours. I hope I never have to experience a rescue scenario, but its nice to feel a little more protected if the **** hits the fan.

With a floatation suit you would most probably last less than an hour in the water(Winter time)With a dry suit you could last up to about 6 hours,depending on Under garments.

I feel much safer going out in a drysuit this winter than I did in a wetsuit last winter.Did you look at the boots to go with the suit?

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=172

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

With a floatation suit you would most probably last less than an hour in the water(Winter time)With a dry suit you could last up to about 6 hours,depending on Under garments.

I feel much safer going out in a drysuit this winter than I did in a wetsuit last winter.Did you look at the boots to go with the suit?

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=172

Zzippy

Great, thats good to know mate. I'm not sure what to do yet regarding my feet. Might just wear oversize hiking boots, a cheap pair with a good pair of thermal socks underneath the drysuit.

Have a look at Five Ten canyoneers they're quite expensive but have great grippy soles if your launching over wet rocks and are comfortable to walk in over most terrain as well. apparently they were designed for canyon and river running in the states.I have a pair and so far they performed admirably