Best Mono line for Trotting

BobH

I use a mono from China called GT sport. It probably comes from the same factory as all the expensive monos.

It is cheap as chips, works really well and does everything I could ask of it.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I like Drennan Float Fish, but for years I was perfectly happy with Maxima, and Maxima feels a bit like Daiwa Sensor to me.

Ultima Flo Cast is interesting, certainly floats extremely well, though not very durable in my experience;

http://www.floatfishingconnection.com/gear_review_Ultima_Flo_Cast.htm

• 2 weeks later...

If that's for me Paul,

I don't like braid for any form of fishing, be it trotting, legering of carp fishing.

The noise of the line going through the rings makes me cringe, I tried it for a season and gave up on it.

I realise the advantages, but it's not for me !

Bob

I didn't answer this as like Paul I much prefer braid for trotting. Braids have come a long way in recent years, there are now plenty of braids that are smooth through the rings. Add to that clear visibility so you can see when the line needs mending, and they sit like a cork on the surface of the water so float control is so much easier than with mono.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I didn't answer this as like Paul I much prefer braid for trotting. Braids have come a long way in recent years, there are now plenty of braids that are smooth through the rings. Add to that clear visibility so you can see when the line needs mending, and they sit like a cork on the surface of the water so float control is so much easier than with mono.

Obviously everyone has their own preferance between the two...mono or braid.

Personally I can't find any plus points that braid has over mono for the purpose of trotting.

Here are a few of my dislikes of braid...

You can't really use braid straight through (which I very often do with mono) as you can with mono, so your pretty much going to have to use a mono or some other form bottom.

When casting, braid can easily get little knots in it which are virtually impossible to untangle.

Braid is easily cut off when a fish pulls it taught and it makes contact with a rock etc. This can happen right up the line way above any hooklength especially in rock strewn rivers.

I don't like the fact that there's no stretch in braid as when in use it makes no difference to hitting fish at long range (this really is a old wives tale). Infact my personal opinion is that braid can cause hook pulls and mono bottoms (especially light mono) to crack off etc etc.

Braid sits high on the water and because of this it's blown across the surface of the water much easier than mono.

Braid makes that horrible sound going through the guides and I fish to try and relax, not have my ear drums tortured LOL.

Those are just some of my dislikes of braid, i'm sure I can think of more :).

Edited by Tigger