J W Youngs Trotter 13 -15

barbelbarmy

Well, tried again on New year eve, again with this and an older rod setup, some nice grayling and 5.4lb Chub on my old rod. When heading back along the river I packed all my tackle up apart from this new rod. Got into a good school of Grayling but unfortunately lost a lot under the rod tip. Very annoying, I tried a fresh hook but still kept losing them, I wish I had the other rod still set up as it has a much softer action which I have obviously become use to. The old rod is classed as a specimen rod so is one of my less forgiving rods anyway.

Well, tried again on New year eve, again with this and an older rod setup, some nice grayling and 5.4lb Chub on my old rod. When heading back along the river I packed all my tackle up apart from this new rod. Got into a good school of Grayling but unfortunately lost a lot under the rod tip. Very annoying, I tried a fresh hook but still kept losing them, I wish I had the other rod still set up as it has a much softer action which I have obviously become use to. The old rod is classed as a specimen rod so is one of my less forgiving rods anyway.

This is just an idea & never tried this myself, but lets assume you were very confident you were only going to touch base with Grayling.

If you only had the stiffer rod to hand - I was wondering if say a short length of #10 or #12 Pole Elastic attached a foot or 2 above the float would reduce losing as many at the net??

I'm thinking you use a stick float with a decent sized body - could also hold rod up so the Elastic doesn't trail in the water.

I can't think right now why this might be a bad idea?? (just try not to get fast on the bottom!!)

Oh aye - & keep away from the Barbel if fishing like this!! :fish:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Well used it today and yes I did feel that extra weight. I set it up along side my old BJ Float and you could really tell the difference. Even more surprising when you consider that the BJ is for lines up to 10lb.

Is that the green 13-15 BJ float rod? If so any idea what make blank it is? I was told most likely Normark. Very nice rod, but other BJ/Normark rods seem to have Normark written on them, but the one I have doesn't.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Lutra, yes it is the BJ Float 13-15. I have never found out whose blank it is, someone did once mentioned a 'Sage' but have never known them to make coarse blanks. Would really like to know if anyone has any idea. Mine originally got delivered broken at the tip ring. Masterline gave me a new top section but this later also broke. I have gone back to the original as only 10mm shorter and have fitted a spliced tip to the other section which has proved great for increased pick up and faster striking.

Am trying again tomorrow so will try smaller hooks and against a lighter float rod. Was using a size 12 last week so could fish with sweetcorn.

Barbel,

Our Arctic Grayling are not sophisticated. The only thing required is a "lightning fast hookset". They make trout look like summer caught carp with their blind rage approach to feeding.

The only reason you don't hear more of the Grayling is that you have to go to Alaska to catch them. Are you targeting the same fish?

The key is blinding fast.

Phone

Edit: I watched a fellow catch them "out of the water". He timed his cast (#3 flyrod) and was catching fish airborne.

Edited by Phone

Barbel,

Our Arctic Grayling are not sophisticated. The only thing required is a "lightning fast hookset". They make trout look like summer caught carp with their blind rage approach to feeding.

The only reason you don't hear more of the Grayling is that you have to go to Alaska to catch them. Are you targeting the same fish?

The key is blinding fast.

Phone

Edit: I watched a fellow catch them "out of the water". He timed his cast (#3 flyrod) and was catching fish airborne.

Phone, if you ever feel like treating me to a holiday i'd love to come catching grayling in Alaska :).

Lutra, yes it is the BJ Float 13-15. I have never found out whose blank it is, someone did once mentioned a 'Sage' but have never known them to make coarse blanks. Would really like to know if anyone has any idea. Mine originally got delivered broken at the tip ring. Masterline gave me a new top section but this later also broke. I have gone back to the original as only 10mm shorter and have fitted a spliced tip to the other section which has proved great for increased pick up and faster striking.

Am trying again tomorrow so will try smaller hooks and against a lighter float rod. Was using a size 12 last week so could fish with sweetcorn.

Sage is interesting barbelbarmy, I've not heard them mentioned before. Any idea what year you got the rod?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Tigger,

I am NOT the guy for a grayling fishing expedition. They are plentiful because it is hard to get to their home waters. The "contest", at least my twice experience, was trying to keep the ice forming on the line from cutting it. "Horses for courses" but grayling fishing sucks.

Phone