I thought jail was a pinishment

Andrew

That's a bit too bit like Sharia or too totalitarian like Singapore.

Singapore is not what it was. They're soft and permissive now.

Either way, the Isle of Man in the 70's is a better comparison.

Both had impressively low rates of re-ofending.

If we're talking about what works, why exclude physical punishment? Why waste taxpayers money on incareration in a holliday camp when that doesn't work and why impose fines when the most perfunctory research shows that they are not imposed equitably and are rarely collected from the scrotes at the bottom of societies pile?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I wonder why people thing that the death penalty is the worst thing you can do to someone or any sort of deterrent?

It has been proven time and time again that it is not a deterrent. See the hangman Pierepoints remarks in Cory's post or just look at the murder rate in any state in the USA that kills people compared to any state that doesn't.

With regard to ultimate punishment I am not sure which I would prefer, a quick death or a life in prison. many choose suicide rather than just a few years in prison. Why is death so bad? It will happen to all of us at some time. The condemned man who is executed suffer a quick and painless death Those of us who are less fortunate may suffer months or years of pain and finally die in a totally undignified way. At my age and state of health I currently have a life expectancy shorter than the average condemned man on death row in the States.

Saying it saves money is also proven many times to be false. Again, it has been proven in the USA that to sentence and execute someone costs more than to keep them in prison for life.As for thrashing them, sounds like you have thought about that sort of thing all together too much.

To keep referring to the American system isn't a great example to use. The USA has more of it's population locked up than any country in the world. It is big business. The three strikes and you're out system sees people serving life sentences for stealing a CD. Is that a good idea?

The punishment element of prison is the deprivation of liberty. That's it. If you can do that in such a way that the prisoner is rehabilitated, educated and treated in an humane way then (as has also been proven time and time again) they are much less likely to re-offend. That has to be a good idea.

BTW, before the name calling starts I am not a bleeding heart liberal, snowflake, or any one of the number of names that certain people on here will call me. I am just applying knowledge and common sense, not popular in these post truth times.

Whilst I am in agreement with you with regards to capital punishment (although quick and painless it certainly isn't necessarily, most states use lethal injection which has been known to take up to an hour to kill) the three strikes rule was never intended for petty crime like shop lifting it has been misused for that, it was meant for serious crimes however I would personally include burglary in that as people underestimate the distress and mental suffering victims of that particular crime can suffer.

Sportsman,

Capital punishment is the ultimate deterrent for at least one person. And, as a deterrent to others, it should be on public display. You miss the purpose. We are trying to get the guy out of the gene pool and at the same time demonstrate the finality of death to those who follow the same or similar path.

FYI, Only 33 people were executed in 2016. Hardly a "sampling" worthy of comment.

3 strikes your out for stealing a CD on 3 separate occasions - YES. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Now, I have trouble with my analysis if a lad is caught stealing a sandwich on 3 different occasions. But you get the message, of course, within any civil society some good judgement must come into play.

Phone

Sportsman,

Capital punishment is the ultimate deterrent for at least one person. And, as a deterrent to others, it should be on public display. You miss the purpose. We are trying to get the guy out of the gene pool and at the same time demonstrate the finality of death to those who follow the same or similar path.

FYI, Only 33 people were executed in 2016. Hardly a "sampling" worthy of comment.

3 strikes your out for stealing a CD on 3 separate occasions - YES. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Now, I have trouble with my analysis if a lad is caught stealing a sandwich on 3 different occasions. But you get the message, of course, within any civil society some good judgement must come into play.

Phone

If you locked up people for that then 50% of the population of the USA would be behind bars. The YECs who think that the earth is only 6,000 years old and the ones who think that the sun orbits the earth.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote